Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an "02 Xterra 4x4 that is running poorly. I need a new catalytic converter. I have the understanding that it has 4 catalytic converters. I was told that it was the driver side cat, but i was never told if it was front or rear. How can i figure that out? Also would it be possible to delete 2 of the 4 cats, to make life easier on me if this were to happen again? Also if i delete 2 of the 4 cats will i still pass emissions? I also get the smell of burning oil after driving for about 20 minutes. The temperature also shoots up. Is this also because of the failing catalytic converter?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Burning oil smell could also be the valve cover gaskets. Very common. Better get them out asap too if they are bad. They will damage the motor if they are bad. As for passing emissions no idea.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Failing cats will do that. I'd check your 02 sensors as well. Glad I don't have to deal with that with my pathfinder. It passing emissions is dependent on how well your cats reduce emissions and if your county requires the check. How many miles do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do you not have any coded or check engine lights?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only time i remember is when i took it to my local mechanic, which was about a year ago. He said it was the cat, driver side. An yes the check engine light would come on and off. Its been about a year since the check engine light never came on again. Could that be a sign the my O2 sensors have burned out?

·
Registered
177 Posts
See if you have any stored codes. I am not familiar with the xterra quite yet.

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
247 Posts
You can check the cats with an IR temperature gun. After driving around a bit read the temperature of the cats and the pipe before and after them. The cat will be much hotter then the pipe leading to it, this is the co and extra hydrocarbons burring off.

For the front cats a obd2 code reader should read an error code if they are bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts