Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up on one of my previous post where i asked about the catalytic converters on the 2002 xterra.

So i went to this weld shop that also does catalytic converters. We had requested the part and everything. The cat that was acting up was the drivers side rear. He suggested that we just chop it off and weld a pipe on it since it was a possibility that the front cat was bad also and that was the cause of the rear cat going bad. Now we did as he suggested and sure enough, the xterra runs the same. It accelerates slightly better and doesn't overheat as constantly as it did previously. Now i only have 3 cats left. Now my question is... if i want to eventually replace the front cat will i have any issues by not having the rear cat anymore? And will i still pass emissions? And i was thinking since i am already missing the left rear cat, can i go on and delete the right rear cat? I was also wanting to do a muffle delete for the longest of time, but dont want to fail emissions with 1 bad cat, missing 1 cat, and having a muffler delete.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Muffler is only for sound, not emissions...if you delete the other cat and replace your bad one you might pass if your state doesn't do in depth inspections

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can get by with one as long as you aren't in CA. My truck only has two from the factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Found out recently my bottom left CAT was trashed (bang on it and stuff inside just rattled) - others looked in poor shape as well. Has a lot of miles on it so I replaced the top 2 only and got rid of the bottom 2. We'll see what happens come next inspection ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts