Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently with winter coming I can park my truck in the garage now and noticed the whole garage has a very strong fuel odor. Never did before.

The truck has a few oddities. Most recently a P1441 code, I replaced the fuel cap but it comes back. It only comes back when I get below 1/2 tank or less.

One other thing I noticed when the weather was hot was a humming coming from somewhere under the truck after shutting it off. I thought fuel pump but it would stop if I removed the fuel cap, there was also a large rush of air.

I don't know what is related at this point. My fuel mileage seems low so I am also wondering if I am leaking fuel under pressure. I tried holding some revs in the garage (door open of course), around 3000 RPM for five minutes, but no leaks on the clean floor.

So, not sure where to look here or what to try. Lots of people point to the evap canister or valve, but not sure if that is the cause in this case.

Suggestions on what to look for or try would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
When you fill at the gas station do you stop when the pump shuts off or do round to the next dollar ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fill it until the pump stops, no need to round up since I don't fill up that often and don't need it to be full to the brim.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
That good .sounds like evap canister is full of water . Pull it off check all plastic nipples for cracks weight on bath scale if it weights more than 4 lb. you need a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts