Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I recently discovered the joys of off-roading and dispersed camping and I was looking to pick up an Xterra for this, based mostly in SoCal with trips to the Sierras, Mojave, etc. I've enjoyed reading through the forums and I was wondering if I could pick your brains to see if this would be a good purchase (obviously subject to a mechanic's inspection) or is 285,000 miles just too many? Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Naren

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,514 Posts
Mine has 270,000 plus on it, original owner, and I drive it hard. Love the truck but some parts are becoming challenging to come up with, rubber and plastic chassis parts.

Rust is an issue but I would assume a CA truck should be good just check underneath. Past that look for the known issues that can be found here.What to Look For When Buying a GEN1 Xterra

Also just assume it needs a timing belt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi folks, I recently discovered the joys of off-roading and dispersed camping and I was looking to pick up an Xterra for this, based mostly in SoCal with trips to the Sierras, Mojave, etc. I've enjoyed reading through the forums and I was wondering if I could pick your brains to see if this would be a good purchase (obviously subject to a mechanic's inspection) or is 285,000 miles just too many? Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Naren
Thats a hard question to answer. But before anything else, 26mpg is a total joke. I don't see hows that would even be possible for this car. Anyway, that aside, you need to ask yourself how ready you are to deal with issues. I have an x with 290,000. It runs great, but its also a 290,000 mile car, meaning that things you don't usually replace need to be replaced. If it's in good shape to start, you will get more life out of it, but not without fixing lots of random things along the way. If you are prepared to do most of the service yourself, then it might be okay, but if you have no experience doing service, this old of a car is going to be a headache/money pit.

Also, I'm not totally familiar with how much these things go for in California, but 3K seems like a lot, given the condition. Looks to me like a spray paint job, or just really crap auto paint, headlights that need to be polished desperately, and scrapes on the bumpers. Based on KBB, this is way over priced: 2381 is for good condition, which I would argue isn't true, and 1808 for fair condition. Mind you they won't sell that low, but it at least puts it in perspective.
https://www.kbb.com/nissan/xterra/2...8|true&pricetype=private-party&vehicleid=4863

Those are my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,514 Posts
I totally missed the 26 MPG. A Gen1 Xterra brand new off the showroom floor barely would get 19 MPG Highway with my Grandma behind the wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts