Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my 2001 xterra is leaking oil. at first i thought it was the valve cover gaskets, it looked like the passenger side was leaking so i only replaced the passenger side. after i replaced the gasket i also changed the oil and i drove it around my neighborhood just to get the oil circulating to see if it was still leaking. i parked it in the driveway and the next morning when i woke up there was 3 little oil spots under the crossmember. i was going to replace the driver side valve cover gasket today to see if that was the problem, and to my luck the previous owner stripped out one off the hex bolts that holds the intake manifold to the block. i really hope it is the driver side v/c gasket. the leak looks like its coming from up high. the whole underside from the crossmember and forward is covered in oil. also when the oil leaks it leaks onto the crossmember then the ground. i parked it in my garage to see how bad the leak was. anyone who can shine some light on this please do.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
It probable is the VC gasket ,just drill the top off hex bolt and then after you remove the intake the vice grips will get the rest . make sure you replace all the hex bolts there are a one time use .

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Dealer or courtesyparts.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found another leak. The bell housing or where the engine connects to the tranny. What would it take to replace this gasket?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Thats the rear main seal. Thats gonna be a fun one as you have to remove the transmission to get to it. I have a slow leak in mine so i just let it go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts