Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone lend some knowledge on which color dot comes on these fuel injectors? Is it blue or black? Long story short I purchased some supposedly OEM Hitachi injectors off of Rock Auto to fix a P0302 due to a dead injector. I ended up purchasing all six new injectors and discarding the old ones without noting the dot color. Now, my Xterra runs really rich and is getting about 9 MPGs, has a prominent raw fuel odor upon start-up, and has an intermittent P0300, which I never had before. Additionally, I know have a hard start issue when the car is warm. The date of manufacture on the door is 01/01. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Can anyone lend some knowledge on which color dot comes on these fuel injectors? Is it blue or black? Long story short I purchased some supposedly OEM Hitachi injectors off of Rock Auto to fix a P0302 due to a dead injector. I ended up purchasing all six new injectors and discarding the old ones without noting the dot color. Now, my Xterra runs really rich and is getting about 9 MPGs, has a prominent raw fuel odor upon start-up, and has an intermittent P0300, which I never had before. Additionally, I know have a hard start issue when the car is warm. The date of manufacture on the door is 01/01. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Lot's of Gen1 folks on this forum with knowledge regarding the OEM injector specs. Expect someone will share their understanding of the subject before long. I have Gen2.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Manual 3.3L NA V6
32 Posts
Per RockAuto item description for Hitachi Fuel Injector (Part #: FIJ0006):

Select Use (Black, Purple or Yellow Dot), any color can be used if all injectors are replaced, or else color must match

Dot color does not matter as long as they are all the same dot color. I.e., if you had blue installed from the factory but replaced all injectors with black, that is ok.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,272 Posts
This is what we’ve been told at the Nissan parts counter for years. In this situation, I’d suspect a vacuum leak or incorrectly routed vacuum hoses

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Manual 3.3L NA V6
32 Posts
I agree that it could be a vacuum leak. There's a good chance that you either damaged, incorrectly routed, or just missed a vacuum hose when removing/reinstalling the intake plenum. There's a lot of little hoses, it happens. I would recommend you do a thorough hand-over-hand check to make sure everything is connected correctly and that there are no cracks or pinholes in any of your vacuum lines. I would also check your air box to throttle body intake hose and verify that there are no cracks between the accordion-like folds. The best way to check for leaks would be to use a smoke machine if you have the ability. There is a diagram in the Factory Service Manual that shows how the vacuum hoses are arranged but it did not exactly match how my Xterra was configured. The following thread kind of hashes this out:

EGR valve vacuum hoses

The presence of a strong fuel odor also makes me think that it could be your fuel pressure regulator. The diaphragm could be going out causing fuel to get sucked back into your intake causing excess fuel consumption, fuel odor, and misfire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come to find out, I do not have ANY EGR equipment on my Xterra whatsoever. Mine is a 2001 build date 01/01. I've read that some early models were equipped with an EGR system and some were not? Or, did the previous owner do a delete and not cap off any of the exposed lines? Either way, I was fairly confident that I hadn't missed any lines or messed anything up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similiar issue. Replaced injectors with what I thought were OEM (from Amazon...I know, I should have known better), tossed the old ones without looking at the dot color and the 2000 X ran rich with the same gas smell and an ocassional CEL. I also replaced them with Rock Auto injectors - HITACHI FIJ0006 qty (6) (they had black dots on them) and that cleared up my issues (my gas milage still sucks like it always did). Best of luck to ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts