Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2001 Xterra se with nearly 238,000 miles that has some problems when driving. To start off, I recently inherited this car a couple of months ago and it had a cracked exhaust manifold. Once I replaced that manifold, the car ran perfectly for around a month. Recently though it has begun to sort of stutter when driving down the road. It only happens when I give it throttle and it makes the car sort of jerk or stutter like its losing power. To try and fix the problem i have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, the distributor cap and rotor, the fuel filter, and very recently the TPS as well as cleaning off the MAF sensor. None of these have solved the problem though. I don't hear any sort of vacuum leak when the car is idling, and it seems to idle decently as well. I really hope someone can help me because I don't want to keep dumping money into it if its going to be something like a fuel injector. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi, I have 2001 Xterra se with nearly 238,000 miles that has some problems when driving. To start off, I recently inherited this car a couple of months ago and it had a cracked exhaust manifold. Once I replaced that manifold, the car ran perfectly for around a month. Recently though it has begun to sort of stutter when driving down the road. It only happens when I give it throttle and it makes the car sort of jerk or stutter like its losing power. To try and fix the problem i have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, the distributor cap and rotor, the fuel filter, and very recently the TPS as well as cleaning off the MAF sensor. None of these have solved the problem though. I don't hear any sort of vacuum leak when the car is idling, and it seems to idle decently as well. I really hope someone can help me because I don't want to keep dumping money into it if its going to be something like a fuel injector. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Are any fault codes being generated? Distributor itself may be mechanically worn and providing your symptoms. Is that original?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are any fault codes being generated? Distributor itself may be mechanically worn and providing your symptoms. Is that original?
from what I know this is the first distributor, but I am the 3rd owner of the car and I have no way of contacting either of the previous owners, so in not sure if it is original or not. It also was throwing a code for the TPS which is why I replaced it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
from what I know this is the first distributor, but I am the 3rd owner of the car and I have no way of contacting either of the previous owners, so in not sure if it is original or not. It also was throwing a code for the TPS which is why I replaced it.
Sounds like it's time to open up the top of the distributor and remove the internal parts such that you can see the center shaft and the bearing which secures it at center. Gen1 users find metal shavings around the bearing when it fails and creates drivability problems. The bearing can be bought in order to be replaced on the original distributor. There are multiple postings on this forum regarding the details of that repair/fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if you are still having problems or not, but my 04 would start missing after it warmed up. I changed out the coil and now it's running great. The only place I know of to get a coil is AM Auto parts, it's about $38.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts