Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new fob for my 2001 nissan xterra and when I go to lock the doors using the key fob, the X won't honk. The parking and tail lights will flash but no honk. I've googled and searched on the forms and I've read people saying to press and hold the lock and unlock buttons until the lights flash to re-enable the horn, but when I try to hold the two buttons nothing happens. The key fob is not the original fob that came with the Xterra, but it is an official nissan key fob. the doors do lock and unlock, just no horn. When the steering wheel is pressed the vehicle does honk, it's just when using the fob. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I've never tried the panic button on the fob, I'm afraid that it will go off and I won't be able to stop it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,845 Posts
The wheel horn and the security horn are two separate units. Roll down a window, set the alarm, then reach in and open it and see if you get a horn. This will let you know if it’s working

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,506 Posts
Make sure all of the doors are fully closed, the rear hatch, and the hood.

I've had my 2004 not wanna honk when I lock it. Discovered a few times that it was due to a door not shut all the way. Another couple of times it was the terminals on the horn were loose.

On my 2004, it honks the service horn, the one that honks with the steering wheel horn pad. I added air horns and it spins the motor but barely ever gets them to pump up before the toot is over, so all I ever hear are the electric horns.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found under the hood theres this long thin button deal that gets depressed when the hood is closed. Is this for the security or is it to power a light that use to be under the hood?
I bought this used so I don't know if there was a light previously

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quick update. i rolled down my driver side window then locked the X with the fob. i reached into the cab and unlocked it from the control panel. it unlocked, no horn. i then opened the door, locked the X from the panel, closed the door, and unlocked it using the panel through the open window, no honk.
on my key fob, when i press the panic button, the X proceeds to honk
any ideas??

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,506 Posts
If it was newer, I'd say that you need to go into the personalization menu. I'm not sure the Gen 1 has any means of the user/driver changing any parameters. You could have a severed wire or a bad fuse on another module/circuit.

I found out why mine didn't honk. It wasn't the doors being open. It was a wire off the relay! Even worse, it was a wire that I added! Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. Now it honks when I press the key fob no matter if doors or hood are open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts