Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered parts to do the knock sensor relocation and I think I ordered the wrong ones. Can someone help clarify this for me please?

I ordered this sensor for my truck:

And this wire harness:

To start out, they don't match up connector wise. So I think I ordered something wrong.

Second, odd. The wire harness end that would connect to the sensor (if it worked) has only one wire, a brown one. I cut back the insulation and found the coax type wire down the connector and it just ended.

If someone could suggest what sensor and harness I need I would really appreciate it. I can consider the ones I have lost money ( I cut up the harness pretty good) since the repair will end up costing me only $40 instead of $900.

Also, if the sensor I have is no good I'll be happy to send it to someone that can use it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
the harness should be right. What you do is get a dental pick and actually pull the connectors out. Then do the same on the X harness and the new ones should slid and lock in place.

Or you can clip and splice the wires if you want.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a quick run to the salvage yard. Cost me $2 to get in and they didn't charge me for the two wire harnesses I harvested off a couple of Nissan's. Connector on the pigtail I got connects to the sensor I have perfectly and has 14" of wire on it.

Going to splice it to the existing knock sensor wire.

Before I cut a wire I want to make sure I have the right one. I followed the left side injector harness that has the three fuel injectors branching off of it. After the last injector towards the firewall the plastic insulation gets smaller. I opened that up to find a single black wire that leads down towards the back of the engine. Is this the one I cut that will look like coax on the inside?

The videos I watched show people going in further towards the injectors and not after them. Just want to be sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, the wire I was describing is the correct one. I cut it and stripped it back. Measured the new connector wires and one had continuity to the metal ring of the sensor so I wired that to the wire from the truck with no insulation, and then the other two together.

Cleared the code, test drive, so far no code returned and it used to after a very short distance.

Doesn't seem to be running any better or worse. Time will tell if fuel mileage gets better.

Project done, thanks!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It should increase mpg if you highway drive much. With the knock error code the engine will not advance timing as far as a clear one will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts