Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a 2000 xterra with an auto trans. It quit going into gear all the sudden one day last week. If I shut it off and start it back up it will go right into gear. If I drive it for a block or so it slips its self into neutral. No gears work. I checked the trans fluid and it was brown. Two weeks prior I put new radiator on it and had to top off the trans fluid and it looked great. What could this be. No check engine light or flashing overdrive light.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
The clutch pack is burned up these auto trans are very delicate 1/2 quart low is bad news.I would not rebuild look for donner must be same year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's weird because I can start it up and put it into gear break torque it. If the clutch pack was bad wouldn't it slip all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
When clutch pack is cold its a smaller diameter as soon as it warms up it expands and starts to slip the brown fluid is your burned clutch pack.That is another reason to warm the truck up before moving it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out my coolant found its way into the trans. Bad radiator. I flushed the fluid. Put new radiator on. I figured I'd give new fluid a shot with some Lucas trans slip additive. And no luck. It's weird because I can warm the fluid all up and when I put it into gear it goes right in and its fine till I go a block or two then it slipps into neutral. Shut the car off for 5 secounds and start it up and put it right back into gear with no problems for another block or two. Could this be a solenoid issue because of the coolant contamination? No check engine lights or flashing overdrive lights? I hate to rule out a trans because of brown fluid. In my opinion if you mix coolant with trans fluid its probably going to be brown. It didn't smell burnt at all. No shavings or sparkles in the fluid.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I found out my coolant found its way into the trans. Bad radiator. I flushed the fluid. Put new radiator on. I figured I'd give new fluid a shot with some Lucas trans slip additive. And no luck. It's weird because I can warm the fluid all up and when I put it into gear it goes right in and its fine till I go a block or two then it slipps into neutral. Shut the car off for 5 secounds and start it up and put it right back into gear with no problems for another block or two. Could this be a solenoid issue because of the coolant contamination? No check engine lights or flashing overdrive lights? I hate to rule out a trans because of brown fluid. In my opinion if you mix coolant with trans fluid its probably going to be brown. It didn't smell burnt at all. No shavings or sparkles in the fluid.
Coolant might have ruined the TCM.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Delicate!?!?!?! But mine just rolled 180k and 30 of those where lots of offroad trips and alot of red line. And my fluid was black when i changed mine. Not brown but black and that was 20k ago but my only problem was rumble going into and out of over drive. Like driving on those wash board things on the side of the interstates. Maybe i got a magic xterra who knows. If some of yall seen the way i drove mine you would wonder how the wheels are still on it. Ive jumped mine too hahaha. Best vehicle ive ever owned. Just swap one from a used truck for cheap.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
It's weird because I can start it up and put it into gear break torque it. If the clutch pack was bad wouldn't it slip all the time.
The TCM is inside the trans with no cover because ATF is non conductive,when antifreeze gets in it is conductive and it shorts out the computer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so I picked up a used trans for $400 with 121k miles. When I dropped the trans I pulled the wires out of the crank sensor pigtail....where can I find the pigtail. Dealer wants way to much for complete engine harness and I can't find a way to get the pins out of the connector to rebuild it. Obtw the trans is horrible to remove. Had to cut the torsen bars and my exhaust y pipe was rusted so I ordered new bars and I'll have to go to muffler shop as soon a I get the trans installed.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Why would you cut the torsion bars lol... Gonna take the same work putting them in as it would have if you would have taken them off. But no idea on the wire harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They were rust welded together. Tried pb blaster. Let it soak for a day....re soaked them..beat on em for ever. Then tried a torch heated them up...still didn't go. I had to cut them to drop the trans. I don't go around cut stuff for no reason lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts