Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I don't hear anything abnormal in that video. The wind sound doesn't help.

A very common source of mystery noises on the Gen1 Xterras is the heat shields rattling/resonating at various speeds. It can drive you truly batshit crazy trying to figure out what it is. Many of us have removed all the heat shields over the years.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i believe it is coming from the exhaust system. Check the muffler mines was so badly rusted that the shield around it was touching the floor at times. There are also alot of shield around the exhaust manifolds and cats.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't hear anything abnormal in that video. The wind sound doesn't help.

A very common source of mystery noises on the Gen1 Xterras is the heat shields rattling/resonating at various speeds. It can drive you truly batshit crazy trying to figure out what it is. Many of us have removed all the heat shields over the years.
^This. Was getting an awful rattling that kept getting worse on my 2002 X. Ended up being the heat shields plus the rubber bracket holding the exhaust pipe loosened to the point where my muffler was tapping on my frame every bump Id go over. Would often hear it when I would accelerate hard as well. Fixed the problem real fast with some hose clamps and readjustment and partial removal of the heat shields.
Might also want to see if your spare tire is fully tightened. Have heard of some people experiencing a noise and finding out their spare tire is slightly dangling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts