Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was trying to see what the problem was on my son's Xterra manual transmission, I saw a small "tank" that looks like an oil pan, but it was attached to the manual transmission. It has a drain plug. It was on the passenger side of the tranny and just in front of the clutch.

Anyone know what it is? I didn't take a pic, because I didn't have the phone with me. If I find on on the internet, I will post here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello Sooner,
That sounds like the oil pan. The order is engine, clutch, transmission from front to back.
The oil drain plug sticks diagonally out of the bottom passenger side of a rather rectangular black oil reservoir. It can be easy to get confused with this because most of the oil pan is forward of that and significantly higher.
In contrast, the (manual) transmission is silver and the inset drain plug points straight downward from the bottom of the transmission. There's a second, identical plug that points directly out the side of the transmission (for filling.)

If you're still not convinced, loosen one just enough for a drip or two to come out!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt it is the oil pan. On my son's Xterra, you have to remove the splash plate to get to the oil drain plug.

It is in the shop getting a reman transmission. When I get it back, I will take a picture.

·
Registered
114 Posts
is your son's X a 4x4? it could be a gear box for that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well? What's the verdict?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:icon_redface::icon_redface:

It was the oil pan. I thought to drain the oil, you had to remove the metal splash shield to get the oil filter and the drain plug...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same set up on my '03, I also noticed an unusual amount of rust on the pan and what looked like a patch on the side of the neck above the drain plug.....this can't be good, I wire brushed the rusty areas and gave a coating of cosmoline on the entire oil pan but the patch has me worried, to replace an oil pan, do you have to lift the engine?

·
Registered
808 Posts
OhioX you drop the front diff not lift the engine. Check the sticky "list of all DIYs" in tech talk form. It's not bad, did it myself. It's easier with a buddy. The front diff is heavy and akward. You also take off the starter. Read over the how to and see what you think. Of course if yours is 2 wheel drive it should be easier. But I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
sweet, glad it's not something crazy OUSooner!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.