Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Xterra is leaking water

Hi, since it got a bit colder these days we are not using the Xterra AC anymore.
Still I can see water dripping down from the car, somwhere under the passengers seat.
I always thought its from the AC ...

Now I think the water is coming from the cooling system.
Has anyone seen or know if this is a typical Xterra issues?

Here are some pics/videos:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4u1p0qvhvqqysi/AACexNRDXxJ8mdnTmL_69RxHa?dl=0

Thanks
.axel

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Seems a little far back. You have the heater core and its drain on the firewall on that side. If you look on the firewall you'll see 2 hoses about 1.5" diameter kind of wrapped around each other. Those are the heater core, if thats whats leaking not good, need to replace it. However below it is the drain for the ac condenser. If its coming from there then it means the ac has been freezing up so you may have a thermo control amp out. Its a much easier fix and like a $30 part.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is it water or coolant (great tinted)? Keep in mind if you set the vent mode on anything around the defrost position it will bump the AC on automatically.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,315 Posts
Is it water or coolant (great tinted)? Keep in mind if you set the vent mode on anything around the defrost position it will bump the AC on automatically.
This^^

The area you have indicated is where the AC drains.

AC drain line indicated by the red arrow. The pic is of my truck with headers so there may be some unfamiliar looking items in the pic but the line is tethered to the inner fender outboard of the exhaust. Slide under while it is leaking and see if it is coming from the black line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all these good answers.

I will definitly check with the vent mode being on defrost ... defrosting the windshield I guess, right?

I will totally slide under the car and check again.

Thanks fo far, very helpful.
.axel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I was checking my dashboard. I am guessing since there is no AC mark, that my AC does not turn on automatically when on the defrost position

ac_panel.JPG

Also ithe drain of the AC is pretty dry.

ac_outlet_dry.JPG

I am not sure about the 2 tubes for the heating, there is obviously some rust but I did ot notice any real water leaking out.

heating_hoses.JPG

Still my Xterra is leaking way too much water.
leaking_a_lot_of_water.JPG

I am convinced it is coming out of the area where the 2 tubes for the heating are.

Anyone has more ideas what and where I can check?

Thanks!
.axel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Be very careful with the 2 hoses for the heater ,the hose coming from inside are cheap plastic and when it get old it breaks just looking at it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The AC compressor does come on with the defrost mode, it just doesn't give visual indication inside. You'd see the compressor spinning if you popped the hood.

When you say water, do you actually mean water or coolant?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and also I am still not sure what my problem is, it looks like its leasking out of a heater tube.
Its very hard to tell and see.

If someone has an idea what/where to check, please let me know.

Thanks
.axel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem solved

it seems that after a while the problem is solved. The heater unit and its connection were corroded and caused the leakage. We decided to bypass the heating completly, replacing the complete unit and its connectors seem to be a lot of work.

Hope this helps for anyone with the same problem, please check the leakage pictures in this thread.

Heating Shortcut:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts