Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anybody's has experience with replacing fog lights on a 2000 Xterra. My driver's side fog has lost its plastic cover and the elements have gotten the best of the inside, see the first picture.

I'm assuming I should just replace the light itself. I can get one for $40-$50, but not sure how easy it would be to swap out myself. I have a Haynes manual, but it's sort of vague about things and the pictures aren't that great.

The second picture is one of the inside fog light assembly. This is where my questions begin...

I've tried to separate the electrical connectors labeled area "1", but haven't been able to. The arrow points to a tab that I have been pressing in, but I can't tell if there is anything else I have to do. Another tab on the other side? Are they old and just need to be pried apart a little when pressing?

Would it be easier to just replace the light at the area labeled "2"? The entire fog assembly includes a cross member that mounts to the frame (see pic 3 of new fog too), but I'm not sure how easy that is to swap out if it's just me. I thought it might be easier to undo the assembly at that nut and put the new one in swapping out the rusted parts.

If anyone has any advice or knows of an existing thread, I'd be grateful. My dealer quoted me $150 ($105 for the part!) and that doesn't seem too unreasonable, but I'm somewhat handy and could really use that money elsewhere if it's not that complicated.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I have the exact same problem on both fogs. Another member is sending replacements because you don't really need to buy the whole assembly like shown in your last pic, just the light.

That being said, I appear to have gotten dibs on the last pair available on this forum. Grab the assembly off eBay motors, you'll pay far less than through the dealer.

As to changing them out, I haven't gotten under there yet so I'll be watching this thread too. Looks like an easy swap, but those plastic tab designs on the Xterra electrical connections are a pain. I went nuts trying to get the plug off my MAP sensor the first time until I figured it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts