Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a stain on the driveway under my son's Xterra this morning and checked to see what it was. I am pretty sure it is the power steering hose, but it was still dark and not 100% sure (I used the light on the Iphone). It is on the passenger side. The steering pump was not wet, but the power steering hoses are.

The way it looks is there are 2 lines, but each line has 2 metal hoses with a flexible rubber part that looks to be a "splice connector". I will have to look again when I get home. I looked at Xterra parts online and they show just 1 continuous line from the pump to the rack and pinion for the high pressure and another one for the return. Is this right (just one line each, without a rubber splice)?

What I saw looks like a metal line coming out of the steering pump for about a foot. Then a rubber hose with clamps. Then another line from the rubber hose to the rack and pinion. Same thing for the return.

Still, when I look at Nissan Parts diagrams, I don't see this rubber hose with hose clamps.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
A lot times the lower pressure return line factory c clamps fail and you just need new screw clamps.If you need new pressure line RockAuto.com

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
It comes out of the bottom of the fill tank ,if you want to replace you can use standard bulk hose from Autozone with new clamps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just in case... I know GM cars need GM power steering fluid and Honda requires Honda Power steering fluid.

Does Xterra's require a certain type?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just in case... I know GM cars need GM power steering fluid and Honda requires Honda Power steering fluid.

Does Xterra's require a certain type?
Per the 2001 maintenance and repair manual, Nissan PSF II, Canada Nissan ATF, DEXRON III, MERCON, or equivalent ATF may be used. That said, I used the Lucas "works for all" PSF last time I added.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... thank you all for the inputs. It does look like the rubber hose at the bottom of the fill tank. Got a new hose and new clamps.

Will replace tomorrow... and I am shocked that it uses transmission fluid as power steering! I got a Chilton manual and it says Dextron III autotransmission fluid!

Thank you again everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts