Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having misfiring issues to where it dies on me I did plugs wires cap and rotor still having the same issue whether in park or under power still misfires any suggestions I've read alot saying distributor or an air issue somewhere I'm going to go over vacuum lines tonight please help

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you done your fuel filter lately? Any codes? But my guess is vacuum.

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I'm having misfiring issues to where it dies on me I did plugs wires cap and rotor still having the same issue whether in park or under power still misfires any suggestions I've read alot saying distributor or an air issue somewhere I'm going to go over vacuum lines tonight please help
I would start with cleaning any wiring harness connector with contact cleaner, put a dab of dielectric grease. And I mean every single plug you can reach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sat for almost 5 years when the transmission went out my brother I recently bought it rebuilt the transmission and I've been driving it like a raped ape for about 2 months then this starts I'm gonna go over the vacuum lines and all my connectors tomorrow thanks for the advice

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you done the fuel filter since it sat for 5 years? X2 on all connectors and dielectric, also get some maf cleaner and clean that bad boy too

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I've done the plugs wires cap rotor and fuel filter aswell as cleaning the maf with maf spray it still misfiring bad and dies when it gets warm I've read alot about doing a computer reset I can't even drive it to a parts store cause it would die and not start for hours I've also read that on 2000 xterra have a screw on the side of the pcm that you can use to do a diagnostic check through the ses light and use it to reset all codes I can't find where to get to the screw or whatever it's called... forums sayyou can get to it from the passenger side but I'm not trying to destroy my dash or any wires has anyone done this and maybe have pics

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I'm going to say this once and last bit of advice. Read my post on electrical system maintenance.
So you wasted money on cleaning the MAF. Tell me, those plugs, yeah, the plug that connects to the harness, specifically the MAF harness plug. Did you unplug it, clean the contacts, apply dielectric grease and reconnect them? I'm guessing you did not.
Do you understand anything about electricity? I'm beginning to think nobody does.
Do yourself a big favor. Buy a can of contact cleaner, buy some dielectric grease. Clean every freaking plug you can put your hands on and grease them with the dielectric grease.

Get this through your head. You cannot fix anything on any vehicle if you have not repaired electrical conductivity.
And if you are sitting there shaking your head and thinking, Oh, it is plugged in, I'm good. WRONG! Plugged in means nothing. Those contacts are garbage if not cleaned and greased. My entire electrical system, every fuse, relay, sensor, starter, alternator is original 16 years later because 15 years ago I unplugged everything and treated my contacts.

Quit chasing your tail people, maintain your electrical systems

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
And while I'm on my rant for what won't be the last time. Pull your new spark plug wires back off and put the damn grease on those connectors, both ends.

This is how you need to approach any vehicle, if it has an electrical plug, clean and grease.

Do it or you will forever be at the mercy of "I hope this fixes it" mindset.

Do this, next time it rains, turn on your laptop and run around in the rain with it, let me know how that works out. Your vehicle electrical system, specifically those plugs, every plug and contact are just like that laptop. Grease them or keep wondering what you are doing wrong.

If you take my advice, not only will troubleshooting be a breeze, you won't waste money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've gone over the electrical that's not my issue the next thing I'm going to do is change out my distributor after reading a few threads on here... my Xterra has 134k miles and sat for almost 5 years when I got it running again it had 131,964 miles I'm sure after sitting for so long the distributor could have bad bearings among other things...

I will never get rid of this vehicle and I will keep spending money on it until I fix it and I'll spend more money on it after that

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I've gone over the electrical that's not my issue the next thing I'm going to do is change out my distributor after reading a few threads on here... my Xterra has 134k miles and sat for almost 5 years when I got it running again it had 131,964 miles I'm sure after sitting for so long the distributor could be changed
Gone over it how? No way you used contact cleaner and dielectric grease.
Specifically, how did you go over it?
So the harness connector to your distributor, you pulled it, cleaned it, greased it and put it back together?

I give up. I'm just going to start telling people spend every dime they have chasing ghosts because you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. I'm done

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This Xterra has a ton of sentimental value to me. Tbass I appreciate your rant but I understand electrical just fine I understand that keeping the contacts on all my electrical plugs etc. Clean and with dielectric grease I did that when I replaced the transmission.

I'm just asking for advice I'll basically replace everything but the frame body transmission and tires to figure out my problem

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
This Xterra has a ton of sentimental value to me. Tbass I appreciate your rant but I understand electrical just fine I understand that keeping the contacts on all my electrical plugs etc. Clean and with dielectric grease I did that when I replaced the transmission.

I'm just asking for advice I'll basically replace everything but the frame body transmission and tires to figure out my problem
If you are being honest and you were diligent and honest to the level of cleaning like I insist then take it to the next step.
Open the relay boxes in the engine compartment. Those black square things. Pull one, wipe dielectric grease on the legs, plug it back it. Do them all.
Go to the fuse box under the dash, do the same thing. I'm telling you, it is not a waste of time. The main plug to the ecu, did you clean that.
What I am telling you is this, I don't think anything is broken. Cars are not water resistant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.