Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to me 2000 3.3L 4wd with manual transmission. It generally runs fine, but sometimes when I hit the clutch coming to a stop the engine will stall instead of catching itself. No engine lights. I also notice that it is more frequent when warmed up.

What should I be looking at to troubleshoot this annoying behavior. My first thought was to raise the idle a bit but it seems to be correct at about 700. IACV? Timing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
The idle is ECM controlled not a good idea to change and thing in that department. Have you changed the dist yet ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean, change out the cap or the entire distributor? If the latter, why would I do that? Is there a common problem?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I second what Dejablue said. I have just gone through the same thing with my Xterra. The first thing I would personally recommend is to pop off the distributor cap, remove the rotor and remove the dust shield from your distributor (while it is still in the car) and check for any metal shavings or debris in the distributor. They should be easily visible. If that is the case the bearing in your distributor is shot, apparently common problem.

It made no sense to me that this issue would be mechanical as it would only happen when the truck would reach normal operating temperature and I was sure it had to be a sensor or something that was affected only after warm up. I was wrong. I went and replaced the bearing, cost about $6 and was back up and running. The other would be just to get a new distributor and listen to Dejablue about getting the right distributor.

With my truck it was the same thing, on cold start ran like a champ, as soon as I reached operating temperature at first it started to stall and as time progressed it would start to misfire, then it got to the point where it started to buck and not fire up again when warm. It would return back to normal when it cooled off which is what puzzled me.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have a bad MAF. Straight up. MAFs on Xterras (or nissans in general) are pretty much made of glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts