Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 08' Xterra Off Road so I'm a newbie here. Getting ready to do a mild lift to clear some new rubber I am buying next week (285/75/16's). I've read through a ton of threads and seen countless lifts and leveling kits available for my Xterra. What I want is about 2" and not to affect or stress anything, which brings me to my questions: I'm seeing some kits come with 2" front spacers and some 3". Some in steel & some aluminum. Some with shackles and other with leaves. I was leaning toward leaves because I do on occasion tow and haul & the extra load carrying with the leaves would be nice. No hard core wheeling in my future either, just trail riding & trips to the mts. I see kits with and without shims. Some folks say yes you want shims, others say, not necessary. Thoughts? Don't want to get 3" spacers and have a lot of undue stress on my steering or CV's but I do want to clear my 285's. Just wondering if the difference, makes a difference? Also, anyone out here run skinny 255/85's ? When I was a Toyota guy, a lot of guys ran them. Not sure how they'd look on an Xterra though. Thanks for your time.

Red

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can clear 285s with no lift. You'll need to do the melt mod with or without the lift.

The most you can lift without going aftermarket upper arms is 2". Otherwise you'll be smashing the arms on the coilbucket. You still may with 2". Seems all xterras are slightly different.

Shackles vs AAL is a never-ending debate. Some say you'll flatten the already weak rear leaves with a shackle. I personally am running both. If you're going to tow, you'll probably want an asp to stiffen up the pack, or better yet go with an after market pack like Alcan. Shims are unnecessary with just shackles. So need them with the aal, some don't. I did.

The very first thing you should do is google "xterra smod" if you have an automatic. Its easy to prevent and extremely costly to repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your 2 cents. Think I'll go with a 2" and an Add-a-leaf and try to find some 255/85R16s (if I can for under $200 each)...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys :). I have a 2014 S (automatic). I recently started driving in the desert quiet often here in Dubai(UAE). Noticed I need more clearance While crossing a dune (straight up and then goin down). In my group the FJ's and Wranglers manage it effortlessly and I end up getting stuck on my belly(in most other situations they realise why the X is in its own league). The Stock suspension is a turn off while dune bashing. So in a haste I have ordered 3" front spacer n a 2" rear shackle(I don't pull any kinda loads). Along with em I purchased the Bilstein 5100's. My question to you guys is... has my haste made complete waste. What can I do to sort me self out. I really like the lifted look though which I googled and made me buy the spacers. what else would I have to buy to rectify my haste ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts