Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, gang. I'm here because I got tired of waiting for an older 4Runner that ticked all the boxes for me to show up on my local CL, started reading up on other options, got excited about Gen 1 Xs. All I know for sure is that I want a stick shift 4WD model, not sure if anything more specific really makes a difference for me that would be worth searching out. Apparently the engine got a slight boost at some point ('02?), but it looks like mostly just a talking point for the salesmen. Or was it really a noticeable difference? MPG about the same throughout that generation? Not interested in a turbo, personally. Any other important changes? Also, I gather that SE was the base level with XE being more fancier. Any real differences in driveability, or mostly just cosmetic and convenience stuff? Sorry, I didn't even try to search beyond scanning the first page of FAQs- can't imagine what search terms would get me the info I want. Cheers, all!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, I owned a 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 automatic. I was waiting for the supercharged engine but couldn't put it off anymore (new in 2001). 2002 got the supercharger but it pretty much sucks. In 2011, my 2001 was murdered :-( . So, wanting to stay in 1st gen, I found a 2004 XE but only 2WD :-( but it still handles light off-road that requires higher clearance. Most of the Xterras XEs (SE is higher) were fitted with most of the stuff that the SEs had. In 2001, the differences were sunroof, standard steering wheel controls for audio and at least mine came with fog lights. The 2004 has 10 more horse power (180). Considering it doesn't have the 4x4 transfer cases and differential up front and coupled with 10 more hp (180) it does get better gas mileage than my 2001 and is better at getting up the mountains of AZ but not by much. The Supercharged engines had 210 hp but were problematic. THere is no factory turbo engine in 1st gen. Gen 1 is 1999-2001, Gen 1.5 is 2002-2004. 2005 and beyond have a much more powerful engine (265 hp), is overall larger in every way plus many other changes and get slightly better gas mileage to boot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, gen 1.5- got it. Well 1 or 1.5 for me, then. I want narrow and maneuverable, even if that means it's a bit cramped. Also prefer the smaller check to write for 1 (.5) versus Gen 2 or a 4runner! Sounds like I got SE and XE mixed up, but since I really don't care about the niceties that you mentioned for the upscale version, I may as well ignore the trim level as well as the specific year, just snag whatever comes up first for a good price. Thanks for chiming in, Luke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you too, XXL. I dunno what happened to all the traffic that apparently used to be on this forum (Facebook?), but grateful to you guys who are still hanging out to answer our dumb questions. Have a good one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts