Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever installed these? I'm wandering if I have to remove outer sleaves or just the inner rubber of the old ones. Is there a loaner tool I can get to press out the old bushings? Any pictures or how to diys would be very helpful.

Front lower:

Rear lower:

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
923 Posts
The entire bushing will need to be removed. I usually use an air hammer or saw to cut one side of the outer sleeve and then peel the bushing inwards

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so should i use a haxsaw to cut the sleeve? and whats the best way to get the rubber out? i have no choice but to replace bushings because i have to cut the bolt on both sides to get it out. gotta love that northern rust! I've already removed the torsion bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have brand new lower control arms to go back in. will i have to do the same thing with the front bushings on the new control arms or can they be pressed out or hammered out with a socket slightly smaller?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shop press is the preferred method.

·
Registered
923 Posts
There should be one bushing on the arm and one on the frame. The frame one is the one I’m assuming the listing is for. I’d use a sawzall to cut the outer sleeve after removing as much of the rubber as possible

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heat up the metal to melt it out? any suggestions on some sawsall blades for the bolts? im eating through metal blades trying to cut the hardened steel bolts.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Those bolts shouldn’t be hardened. Any metal blade should do. I feel like I use the torch

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey you guys are awesome! thanks for all the help. I'm still waiting on parts but when it is completed I will post up some pics with the new off road tires and the lift.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Harbor Freight investment in a decent press and some blocks it will come in handy for a lot of suspension bushings

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to verify. I did have to remove the sleaves with the old torch and hacksaw method in order to install these bushings. I should have it finished by the end of next week. I will post pics when I'm done. I have my tires on order so should be installed next week.

Yokohama Geolander X-AT
265/75r16 Load range E

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far so good on the overhaul I still have to finish the driver side. Here is my progress so far.

Passenger side complete.

New urethane bushings in lower control arms.

Steering linkage in.

Drivers side almost disassembled. I still have to cut the bolts for the control arms and cut out the sleeves for the bushings. Then I can reassemble everything and set ride height. Then it's off to the shop for alignment! Woohoo!!!!

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
489 Posts
I need your address, and to have you park in a dark alley... ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drivers side down to the frame. Now just gotta replace bushings with urethane bushings and reassemble then repack bearings set ride height and get it aligned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well hear we go folks! The finished product! Got about 2000 miles on the new tires and suspension. Rides soooooo good and the tires are great!

Before:

After:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I purposely set it a little higher in the back for towing my camper.

Still sits about 1/2 inch higher in the rear with the camper hooked up. Tows great down the road!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts