Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
906 Posts
Yeah, and doing all of that work while it's out of the vehicle is so much easier, too. Congrats on getting the new-to-you engine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yeah, and doing all of that work while it's out of the vehicle is so much easier, too. Congrats on getting the new-to-you engine.
Heck the man even has room to work and I see the engine compartment appears to have gotten a proper bath! Hose the old girl down! I'm liking the looks of those shiny new headers. Looking solid for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im curious, Whats the power output of your new setup? The original motor, does it have a lot of miles or did you just want an upgrade? Keep up the good work, looks like you know what your doing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, any chance of some details on the alt/ power steering relocation, such as pictures of said brackets, maybe? Please?
Power steering pump and alternator are switched and looks like the alt is mounted a bit higher.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, any chance of some details on the alt/ power steering relocation, such as pictures of said brackets, maybe? Please?
I'll post a couple of pictures, on the jdm engine the alternator, power steering, and The AC compressor are on the opposite sides from the American engines. you can use the same hard where and bracket to swap them to the correct side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is the mounting bracket that was used for the AC compressor on the JDM engine there are slight differences

This is the only difference i found in the bracket

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im curious, Whats the power output of your new setup? The original motor, does it have a lot of miles or did you just want an upgrade? Keep up the good work, looks like you know what your doing.
Let me start off by saying by no means am I a mechanic, I can turn a wrench and get my hands dirty but I'm not a mechanic. (I've worked in the construction and trade show fields) I was told by two shops that I had burnt valves and the engine was toast. I lost alot during the pandemic so I didn't have to money to buy another vehicle (used car prices in the Atlanta area are crazy high) so I decided to fix what I already have. I do think I might gain a couple of ponys but nothing ground breaking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm more interested in how the P/S pump is mounted on the JDM, since that would get rid of ALOT of extra/ un needed tubing/hoses/leakpoints.

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heck the man even has room to work and I see the engine compartment appears to have gotten a proper bath! Hose the old girl down! I'm liking the looks of those shiny new headers. Looking solid for
I'm more interested in how the P/S pump is mounted on the JDM, since that would get rid of ALOT of extra/ un needed tubing/hoses/leakpoints.

Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you. This helps considerably! goes to look in parts mountain for possible pieces...

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
906 Posts
Thank you. This helps considerably! goes to look in parts mountain for possible pieces...
Sir, if you find a bracket, please share. I recently upgraded from a 2001 to a 2004. Eventually, I will be replacing the PS hoses, so if I can get the pump to the "proper" side, I'd be quite happy to figure out a means of getting fluid to the steering box.

TIA!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will, of course. My parts mountain has ALL kinds of stuff in it, so, hopefully, I can find a production piece (and remember what it came from) to use.
EDIT- first blush, looks like some P/S bracket pieces from a *eep 4.0 or maybe a Garbage Motors mount are strong players...

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I didn't change the oil dip stick because I was afraid of braking it trying to remove it. I paid the price for that while installing the headers after I got the engine in. I had to fight to get the dip stick in between the pipes while getting it twisted in to place.

·
Registered
722 Posts
View attachment 77045
I didn't change the oil dip stick because I was afraid of braking it trying to remove it. I paid the price for that while installing the headers after I got the engine in. I had to fight to get the dip stick in between the pipes while getting it twisted in to place.
Looks like you've been busy alright. Keep the good things going there. Hope she fires up all sweet and neat real soon!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,163 Posts
I also swapped oil pans and oil filter housings when I did mine. I would strongly recommend installing new spark plugs because the Japan spec uses copper plugs instead of platinums.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also swapped oil pans and oil filter housings when I did mine. I would strongly recommend installing new spark plugs because the Japan spec uses copper plugs instead of platinums.
Tell me more about the differences in the spark plugs I was going to leave them

1 - 20 of 24 Posts