·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it looks like they are a bit different... But will they fit on a 2000 if I am replacing both of them? Are the heads the same on the engines? Did the downpipes change? Will the EGR line up? Will the O2 sensors fit in the same place? I can't imagine it changed that much.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
The 2000 has 2 cats and the 2001 up has 4 cats.The heads are the same.
My 2000 came with the CAL/NLEV 4 cat option, deleted the second cats when I added the Nismo cat back system.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys, perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm aware of the 2 vs 4 cat thing. I don't think that is relevant.

What I am asking is this:

Will the Pacesetter one-piece replacement that is made for 2002-2004 fit in place of the factory manifold + primary catalytic converter on a model year 2000?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Sorry guys, perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm aware of the 2 vs 4 cat thing. I don't think that is relevant.

What I am asking is this:

Will the Pacesetter one-piece replacement that is made for 2002-2004 fit in place of the factory manifold + primary catalytic converter on a model year 2000?
That picture/link you posted is a header and cat in one. Amazon has your primary cats at a much lower price, Albeit a pain to install. If you have the secondary cats, do what I did, drop in cat replacement tubes and new bosch O2 sensors and splice them into the harness.

Before I would buy the exhaust manifold/cat you showed. I would buy headers from 4x4 parts and put new cats underneath.

In fact, if my primary cats ever fail, headers are going in from 4x4 parts and I'll drop a single cat in underneath and figure out how to adapt the o2 sensors.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need manifolds too, hence I am looking for the whole setup. I am aware of all the options (or lack thereof) The pacesetters can be had for $279 and appear to be higher quality (all stainless) then even the thorley headers (ceramic coated).

Again,

WILL THIS FIT OR NOT?! That is all I am asking!!!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I need manifolds too, hence I am looking for the whole setup. I am aware of all the options (or lack thereof) The pacesetters can be had for $279 and appear to be higher quality (all stainless) then even the thorley headers (ceramic coated).

Again,

WILL THIS FIT OR NOT?! That is all I am asking!!!
It will probably fit. The heads are the same. Only the exhaust routing under the vehicle changed. Probably to do with o2 sensor cable length and cat placement.
Personally, I would buy new exhaust manifolds or headers before buying a modular setup. Is the OEM exhaust manifold cracked?
You already are committed to buying new o2 sensors, they are welded in by now.
Hell, if you are worried about fit, go to a junk yard and pull some used manifolds and cats.

Stay away from that all in one unit, just saying.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, my existing manifolds seem to be cracked. From what I understand, this could be why the cats have gone bad.

What is bad about the all-in-one setup? Are the newer (02-04) style manifolds prone to failure more than the older ~2000 style ones?

I live in the high desert, we don't get a lot of rust. The last few O2 sensors I've taken out of cars were a breeze. I just had my EGR torn apart to pull my intake manifold, no problems.

I considered the Thorley headers ($500) but I'd also have to buy the newer style downpipes with the secondary cats,($300 for pair) extend the O2 wires and weld in a new bung. (probably ~$100 by the time it's done) Seems like a lot of work and extra $ for a minimal gain in HP. All that without a guarantee that it will actually work, not throw a code, and pass emissions...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Yes, my existing manifolds seem to be cracked. From what I understand, this could be why the cats have gone bad.

What is bad about the all-in-one setup? Are the newer (02-04) style manifolds prone to failure more than the older ~2000 style ones?

I live in the high desert, we don't get a lot of rust. The last few O2 sensors I've taken out of cars were a breeze. I just had my EGR torn apart to pull my intake manifold, no problems.

I considered the Thorley headers ($500) but I'd also have to buy the newer style downpipes with the secondary cats,($300 for pair) extend the O2 wires and weld in a new bung. (probably ~$100 by the time it's done) Seems like a lot of work and extra $ for a minimal gain in HP. All that without a guarantee that it will actually work, not throw a code, and pass emissions...
From what I gathered over the years, people that cracked the exhaust manifolds ran their rigs hot without good air flow, i.e., they were spinning wheels and not moving. And I may be wrong but it is usually the passenger manifold. Ebay yourself some spare parts, here is the upside. The parts may be used but they will fit. Buy from sellers that offer a return. Odds are just the gasket is gone between your head and the manifold, mine is aging but seals up after the engine warms up.

I hear you on the header refit. However, if I do it myself, it would be less money than having a hack mechanic just change a muffler.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Come to think of it, my cat CELs started right after a hunting trip where I got stuck in a snow drift and spent 20 minutes going back and forth at 4,000-5,000 RPMS. The manifold was definitely leaking before that, however. The truck only has 100k on it...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Come to think of it, my cat CELs started right after a hunting trip where I got stuck in a snow drift and spent 20 minutes going back and forth at 4,000-5,000 RPMS. The manifold was definitely leaking before that, however. The truck only has 100k on it...
First, if you have a 4x4, put it in 4 low so you don't spin. I had to tell 3 people this last week. 4 Low in deep snow is the bomb.
Your manifolds are probably fine, the manifold to head gaskets might be blown.
Either way, you have some wrenching ahead. Keep it cheap and source some cheap used parts or cheap new parts.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, if you have a 4x4, put it in 4 low so you don't spin. I had to tell 3 people this last week. 4 Low in deep snow is the bomb.
Your manifolds are probably fine, the manifold to head gaskets might be blown.
Either way, you have some wrenching ahead. Keep it cheap and source some cheap used parts or cheap new parts.
4 Low wasn't doing anything! I'm talking 18" of snow on top of a dirt road. The whole belly of the truck was stuck. Spent a couple hours digging the moving 3' over and over... I decided to just move the snow with the mud tires instead... Not the most efficient form of snow removal but that was the only option.

If it will be a recurring problem due to the manifolds sucking ass then maybe I will re-explore the header + O2 relocation option.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The OEM manifolds are cast iron. Even driven as a soccer mom mobile they still crack. Know from personal experience. Leaking valve cover gaskets do not help. If you want them to last; get aftermarket like Doug thorly or 4x4 parts. OEM replacements will crack all the same. Most people do not see the cracks in the manifolds at first till they get a chance to really open up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OEM manifolds are cast iron. Even driven as a soccer mom mobile they still crack. Know from personal experience. Leaking valve cover gaskets do not help. If you want them to last; get aftermarket like Doug thorly or 4x4 parts. OEM replacements will crack all the same. Most people do not see the cracks in the manifolds at first till they get a chance to really open up.
Leaking valve cover gaskets - also just fixed. All signs point to ditching the stock manifolds.

Back to my original question: Are the 2002+ manifolds better?

Also: Has anyone had luck fitting the Thorley headers, relocating the O2 sensors and passing emissions/no CEL? I am not interested in janky BS like "tricking" the system to work. It needs to actually work.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Leaking valve cover gaskets - also just fixed. All signs point to ditching the stock manifolds.

Back to my original question: Are the 2002+ manifolds better?

Also: Has anyone had luck fitting the Thorley headers, relocating the O2 sensors and passing emissions/no CEL? I am not interested in janky BS like "tricking" the system to work. It needs to actually work.

Thanks
Can't imagine an Xterra failing emissions in any configuration as long as the o2 sensors and cat are in place in the system. 2 before and 2 after one or two cats. The computer just uses that data to control the fuel air mix
My X almost stinks as bad as my old Z11 Camaro and it has never failed emissions. It would probably fail in Commifornia though.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Do you still have the auto hubs on your rig? You do know trying to back up in snow they don't stay engaged and are useless?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Even driven as a soccer mom mobile they still crack.
LOL, I've driven mine like an old man since new and it hasn't cracked. I did replace the passenger valve cover gasket.
I hope mine doesn't crack because my OCD self will put headers and new cats.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you still have the auto hubs on your rig? You do know trying to back up in snow they don't stay engaged and are useless?
Warn hubs, locker in the rear, 32" mud terrains and a 3" suspension lift. My buddy's stock Tundra was significantly harder to get out that day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts