Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm removing the transmission on my 2000 xterra 4x4 3.3l to replace the torque converter and rear main seal. I've read that it can be quite a pain. With that said is there any pointers anyone can give to making it go as smooth as possible?

·
Registered
384 Posts
yes the exhaust has to come off there is a DIY for this but im not sure where it is. I did it on mine which was a a 2001 Xterra but Manual. The Y pipe and after has to come off. The right cat should also be taken off but everything else in the exhaust can stay. The torsion bars can be tricky. unbolt the rear shackle for it and then grab a hammer next bang the torsion bar and pull it out at the same time. The front torsion anchor does not come off trust me. Theres also a sneaky sensor that must be removed. take off the left wheel then take it off with a 10mm wrench. google this: clutch install xterranation

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll do some searching for the diy thread. The torsion bars shouldn't be an issue as I just installed the long travel 3 inch articulator lift two months ago. Getting the original passenger side torsion bar was a pain, ended up torching the anchor adjuster and banging it out with a big hammer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think net might be referring to the crankshaft position sensor. I learned the hard way the first time I removed my tranny...I mangled mine. Mine is a manual trans, but I assume the auto trans has the sensor too. Google it, there are numerous pics and threads about it. 4x4 or 4x2?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts