Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got $1000 estimate to redo my front brakes. Pads Callipers and rotars. I priced them out using a buddys discount at Lordco and parts total came to $485.

I had a serious issue with the brakes (grinding, tire locking and dead pedal) and needed to get towed and the shop diagnosed a failed front calliper causing a loss of pressure.

This seems like a huge price tag for this work and while the tech was totalling up the estimate I noticed him writing $389 for the callipers and I was quoted $216 (with discount).

So.

I am fairly handy and have done the timing belt etc on this X but have always shyed away from brakes.

Is this a backyard job?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hardest is the calipers. Never done them but rotors and pads are Saturday afternoon easy. Should be a DIY on repacking the front wheel bearings on first gen. Don't know which gen you have but first gen you have to take off front hubs, so might as well regrease while you're there. I usually do one side at a time and use phone for reference pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sure it's to late but for future reference try pricing rock auto. I just ordered slotted and drilled rotors and raybestos hybrid pads for my 06 total parts $172.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you have done a timing belt you can handle the breaks! My friend who is in school for a mech told me and explained to me how its done. Its easy! Just more less the dirty work thats hard. I was the same way i wouldnt touch it. But like the timing belt. Where you at one time shying away from the t belt than learned and said you could do it? Breaks are way easyier. Just saying and you could do it for a quarter of the 1 grand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let me give you an idea. I have an 04 titan. While I didn't do calipers on it, I did the rest for using power stop pads and raybestos professional rotors. For probably less than $100. Calipers would have added about $90 to that. I have dome calipers on other vehicles though. Regardless, you will be bleeding your brakes, so you may as well go for it.
One thing you must remember to do though with ABS systems, crack open the bleed screw when you push the piston back in. This prevents a backfeed of fluid that may damage the system. If you don't have a mity-vac or some other vacuum pump, bleeding is a 2 person job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts