Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so thought I'd say "hi"!

I've been thinking about a new "snow and tow" vehicle for awhile and homed in on the Xterra after a bunch of research on-line and talking to friends. I actually use the truck for fun on and off the pavement so key criteria for me were long-term reliability, off-road/4WD capability, decent towing ability, and good value for money.

I originally started looking for late-model ('05-newer) used, but ended up getting a great deal on a new 2010 Off Road. Picked it up last Friday. I'm psyched and patiently waiting for the break-in period to expire...which should happen about the same time that summer actually starts here in Seattle. The '10s seem to come with just about every option standard, the only thing I'm adding is a tow hitch (getting installed tomorrow).

The main question I've got is setting the truck up for towing a decent-sized boat. Between the boat, trailer, and gear, we might be getting close to the 5,000 lb. tow rating, and there are a few long, constant grades to go up between home and the lake. I've read some threads on here about adding a tranny cooler and upgrading the leaf springs, and others that say "no problem" -- comments and advice are appreciated!

Bill

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome to the club... congrats on the new x :) Don't know much about towing though my b/f does... but from what I have heard you don't have to beef up the back on the new model but there will be people on this forum that can help you with that advice!! :)

I have to get a tow hitch too, I will be getting a moto rack

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Welcome! You should get some answers to your questions here...

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Great to see another Seattle area member!

The 2nd Gen comes with a system where the transmission fluid goes through the radiator to cool and goes into another cooler. You should be fine in the Seattle heat. I've pulled a 22' Grady White with mine (a little over 5000#) and no problem, though I do have stiffer leafs in the back.

Welcome to CX!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice!

@Keyz18 - I agree, in Seattle I should be fine. I'm more concerned about going over to Eastern WA where there's the pass and the Vantage hill to contend with.

@Drake - thanks for the suggestion for air bag helpers. They definitely worked for a friend who installed something similar on his pickup. The only question is if the help they give while trailering ends up hurting off-road performance not trailering, even if they're deflated. The worst terrain I expect to encounter is ruts/rocks/potholes if I go up a logging road to go hiking, so that tradeoff might be OK...

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
@Keyz18 - I agree, in Seattle I should be fine. I'm more concerned about going over to Eastern WA where there's the pass and the Vantage hill to contend with.
Vantage hill...that thing is brutal. I've seen too many cars over heat on that stretch of I-90.

If I were to take a 5000# boat over the pass and through Vantage/Ellensburg during summer, I would look at a larger tow rig. Maybe for those trips you can utilize a buddy's truck?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts