Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started another thread but realized i posted it in the wrong area.

I'm currently on a long road trip to my hometown and my vehicle started having an odd starting issue. I will start off by saying prior to this I had a blinking airbag light on the dash and the pass airbag off light. Also prior to this intermittently the car wont beep when i lock it and the alarm will go off after a few minutes which I remedied by turning all the interior lights to off but i assume I have a bad door sensing switch somewhere. I don't think those issues are related but just in case...

Now to the actual issue. Yesterday i drove about 30 minutes and stopped the car at the destination. When i turned the X off I still had my foot on the brake and immediately noticed that most of the indicator and warning lights on the dash as well as the odometer windows were still on and I had an intermittent beep. I removed my foot from the brake and the lights extingushed. Tried starting the car and it cranked but did not start. I kept trying and it would start then not start then start again. I tapped on the relays under the hood after about 30 minutes and the issue seemed to go away until I drove it back and the issue returned. When the issue is present it seems to start fine when the brake is not applied while I'm cranking but I'm not 100% positive on that yet. It did rain a bit the day before and the roads were wet. Each time it happened the engine was warm.

My guess is a relay but I'm not sure which one. Anyone agree, disagree or have any insight?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to update the profile. I used to have an 01 but have gotten an 08 in the last year or so. The problem is intermittent so I'll swap them around next time it happens. Def not moisture though, ive ruled that out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That could be a short too...let's hope relay though...I have read somewhere that all sensors pass through the gauge cluster before the ecm on the x's, not sure which gen, but maybe ensuring good connection and ground there too?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hasn't happened in a little while but I called Nissan and they said my vehicle was free of any recalls. I was crossing my fingers but oh well that would have been nice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This might not help, but I used to own an 01 monte. I had a similar issue that turned out to be the factory alarm system. It had an ignition cut off set-up. The dash lights would go crazy, which was signaling the fault in the system. it might not be the same problem, just something to consider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the tip. The only thing the car has is a panic button but no alarm. Either way it may be the same type of thing still. After this week i wont be driving it for about 6 months. I'll have to figure out what is wrong when I start driving it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.