Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 107,000 miles on mine and the dealership says it can hear a squeal on start up and the timing belt should be replaced ASAP @2k$ I don't hear anything different but what should I do, maybe have another dealership listen or What should I be hearing?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I have 107,000 miles on mine and the dealership says it can hear a squeal on start up and the timing belt should be replaced ASAP @2k$ I don't hear anything different but what should I do, maybe have another dealership listen or What should I be hearing?
The '06 has two timing chains, neither would typically squeal on start up.

There are BELTS for accessories, such as alternator, etc, that CAN tend to squeal on start up, if adjusted too loose/stretched over time so they are loose, etc.

There are GUIDES for the CHAINS that can make some noise if too worn, but, its not a just on start up issue.

Chains don't squeal, but belts do essentially.

Perhaps they meant belts, such as for the alternator, etc?

You can do a simple test for the alternator's belt for example by turning on EVERY single thing that uses electricity at the same time, windows, AC, fan, lights, radio, brakes, whatever you can...and then start it, and see if the squeal is worse.

Sometimes just hitting the high beams and brakes and AC/fan on high while idling will start a short chirp/squeal, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Considering they asked 2k i wouldnt go back there because that year of x has chains and wouldnt squeal and even if they where talking about the drive belts should be no more than 200 at stealership price. They where trying to rip you off saying that cause 2k is about right changing the chain. Therefor they wanted to change the chains for no apparent reason. Or maybe take 2k and get belts and make an 1800$ profit off you. If i was you i wouldnt ever go back there and i would be sure to let them know that too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts