Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 hardbody with 06 Xterra axles and suspension
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 06 xterra rolling chassi and I I allready have a good idea how I'm going to do it other than drive lines maybe brakes and susp mints is there anything that is a an issue in hybredding the two other than slight deformity lol thnx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was just going to put the axles and suspension on my frame the front iv started to cut off and it will be some work but I can make it taking it in one peice relocate back spring mounts drive lines from auto to standard dont know if I have to grow or shrink yet have to set up cab control for self locking hubs and not to sure how the brake lines will interchange yet antilock and all but I dont think it should be to bad of a conversion benefits I grow about 3in in width and self locking hubs and upgrade suspension 10 yrs axles are significantly more gooderer built all the way around dont think gears will be an issue at all if any better than the stock ones in truck plus truck is lighter than Xterra alot so I can fly without worrys

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
750 Posts
You’d be much better off just dropping the pickup body onto the xterra frame. You’d almost have to use the xterra axles, spindles, and wheel bearings because almost(if not) all xterras use ABS module to communicate vehicle speed over CAN. If you’re using a manual transmission and have no interest in decel fuel cut let alone ABS/VDC then you could run UpRev and you should be able to knock out CAN errors due to missing control units. This would almost certainly be necessary to bypass NATS immobilizer issues, otherwise you’ll need to fit a BCM and an IPDM and a NATS antenna to the pickup body. Keep in mind that your xterra almost certainly calculates vehicle speed inside the cluster based on the wheel speed signals from ABS and your hardbody meter gets vehicle speed from a sensor that doesn’t exist on a 2006 xterra. This sensor may exist if your xterra is M/T without ABS but I’m not sure if that combination even exists. It may exist on a frontier and some of these parts may be able to found. Lots of moving parts here and really depends on how many of the powertrain features you actually want to work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the abs module and that was one of my concerns whether or not I have to use it now the only other issue is that I guess I could put the body on the frame I just dont have an overhead hoist and I am doing it by myself there's a couple of abbreviations that I'm not familiar with mostly cuz I have been an old Chevy guy for alot of years and alot of this computer stuff is new to me I was hoping that by installing the abs module would be the biggest issue I would have to contend with other than installing cab controls for self locking hubs but from what you're saying I might as well find me some old chevy straight axles that would give me the wheel base I'm looking for but not upgrade to self locking hubs and deal with the manual ones and it would be a simple modification for suspension mounts and the steering so I will have to study the feedback I get from these replays all info is greatly appreciated and thankyou for your advice have a beautiful day

·
Registered
750 Posts
Getting this engine to run and getting this transmission to shift are much larger concerns than what kind of hubs you have. There’s a full alphabet of control units necessary to make this happen, unless you enjoy computer programming then you can program a lot of the features out of the powertrain. Without a vehicle speed signal, the first feature you’ll probably lose is automatic transmission

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting this engine to run and getting this transmission to shift are much larger concerns than what kind of hubs you have. There’s a full alphabet of control units necessary to make this happen, unless you enjoy computer programming then you can program a lot of the features out of the powertrain. Without a vehicle speed signal, the first feature you’ll probably lose is automatic transmission
I have a manual in truck and I thought that autos were.a problem all i want are the axles and suspension cant i just custom driveline and install abs module and ad cab controls for self hubs relocate sus brackets I'm thinking gears and a couple of wires otherwise can anyone give me an idea of the gear ratio difference between the two if all i can do is swap rear ends and leave front alone i was fortunate to acquire the complete rolling chassi less motor n trans for a little trading so I'm not going to be out alot of money if i cant make it work i will be looking to sell parts if anyone's interested thnx

·
Registered
750 Posts
The older xterras has 4.6/4.9 gears. Your hardbody is probably the same. The newer xterra has 3.3/3.6 if I remember correctly. Also the newer xterras don’t have hubs at the wheels to unlock/lock. Those axles are spinning all the time. It seems to me that the 265hp engine with the 4.9 gears would make a better project than 170hp with 3.3 gears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The older xterras has 4.6/4.9 gears. Your hardbody is probably the same. The newer xterra has 3.3/3.6 if I remember correctly. Also the newer xterras don’t have hubs at the wheels to unlock/lock. Those axles are spinning all the time. It seems to me that the 265hp engine with the 4.9 gears would make a better project than 170hp with 3.3 gears.
I'm not sure what motor was in it it had an automatic I'm not positive but I think it was a v6 so the front transaxle looks pretty much the same as my truck except both frt n bi are alot heavier housing and seems a bit larger my rear end is tired that's all I really wanted it for but I got whole chassi so I measured and did visual on similarities and the upgrade. Would be like night n day with aprox 3in wider and heavier housing self lock or fulltime is ok with me to but the more I learn the less I like the idea I am an old school fuel compression and spark all this computerized crap is taking the fun out of creating a monster I've done half a dozen shoeboxes couple of Jimmy's and 1 jeep and boy do I miss my peej 4.0 how 5in offset 32 center lines 2in shackles pos front back 3halfin flowmaster over injectors that would light all 4 up in 4low as long as I stood onit uuhhhhhhh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts