Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,706 Posts
My 06 Xterra runs hot unless I have my heat on. I had a new radiator put in. When I feel my radiator hoses the top one is warm and the bottom is cold..Any ideas?
Have to wonder if the thermostat is opening properly. Was that replaced with the radiator? A hot upper hose and cooler bottom hose is normal. A warm upper hose is not normal if the engine is up to temp. More fingers pointing at the thermostat there. Thermostats can be installed upside down if that was done.

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,706 Posts
Yes my thermostat was replaced also My thermostat came in a housing and I'm not sure it can be put on upside down but I will most definitely look into it.
Well, if it came in a housing then there is no upside down with those I don't believe. It might still be defective new out of the box.

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
Yes my thermostat was replaced also My thermostat came in a housing and I'm not sure it can be put on upside down but I will most definitely look into it.
I helped a friend with her car after she bought it from some dude who said that he had changed the t-stat.

The idiot put it in backwards and her car overheated less than 5 miles after buying it, and that was after taking it for a spin!

If it is in backwards, it'll act like it has failed and keep the coolant from flowing. I suggest that you remove the t-stat, test it, and replace it if it fails the test.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I helped a friend with her car after she bought it from some dude who said that he had changed the t-stat.

The idiot put it in backwards and her car overheated less than 5 miles after buying it, and that was after taking it for a spin!

If it is in backwards, it'll act like it has failed and keep the coolant from flowing. I suggest that you remove the t-stat, test it, and replace it if it fails the test.
After I got it changed and it did exactly what you just explained I did take it off and put in a boiling pot of water but had no idea on what exactly u was looking for. I didn't see anything open or close.

· Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,706 Posts
After I got it changed and it did exactly what you just explained I did take it off and put in a boiling pot of water but had no idea on what exactly u was looking for. I didn't see anything open or close.
That would be a for sure sign of a thermostat that has failed to open and cause your engine to overheat. The plunger would normally slide up and open to allow the coolant to flow. It should have opened at about 190 degrees well before the water boiled.

· Registered
3,220 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the temperature rating indicates when it should be fully opened, which means it'll begin opening a little below that temperature.

As @XT2015 says, that's a sure sign of a failed t-stat!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all I just went and got another thermostat and plan on putting it on tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Does anyone have a guide on how to properly drain the coolant before I replace tstat?

· Registered
3,220 Posts
The general rule is to either use the petcock at the bottom of the radiator, if it has one, or if not, remove the plug to drain it.

Over the years, I have never trusted a valve that has been closed for many years to suddenly operate without issue, so my method of draining the coolant is to pull the lower radiator hose.

No matter which method you use, some is going to hit the ground no matter how big your pan is. Pulling the hose will probably spill more. In either case, have some absorbent ready. Sawdust is free or cheap, cat litter is acceptable, and you can probably think of other ways yourself.

If all you want to do is change the t-stat and keep as much coolant as possible, then just pull the hose off the housing, bend it up to pinch it off, change the t-stat, then reattach the hose. Very little is lost that way, so very little needs to be replaced as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts