Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was driving and around 50mph the X started to shake. As I sped up it got worse, so I let off the gas and the shaking stopped instantly (still going like 55mph). RPMs were below 2K. This leads me to believe alignment is not the issue, since it's only when pressing the gas.

<b> It only shakes when I'm pressing the gas above 50mph! </b>

For the past few weeks I have also been hearing "birds chirping" coming from from front end on occasion, so I checked the belts. The drive belt is perfect. Also I've been hearing major squeaking coming from the front end EVERY TIME I hit a bump.

Maybe a suspension issue?

I crawled under the X this morning after reading I should check my U Joints. The driveshaft doesn't seem to have much rotational/lateral play. However both boots were rusted as well as both U Joints.

Maybe the U joints? Keep in mind I have a 2WD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just feel like it HAS to be something dealing with the drive train. It's only shaking if I'm pressing the gas in gear. I even put it in neutral and revved it, no shake.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd pull the driveshaft and inspect the u joints off the truck. They are cheap to replace even if not the issue. Problem could be in the rear diff as well.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
As the engine mounts, if loose/worn, would let the engine rock to one side slightly more than normal when the gas is applied, and the engine would rock back to its neutral position when the gas was off..that, to me at least, would be a starting point.

The engine of course is on the frame, and rocking allows the engine, and stuff attached to it, such as the fan, to get closer to BODY mounted stuff.

For example, the fan blades may get closer to/hit the shroud of the radiator.

And, of course any other normal wear and tear item such as shocks, hood snubbers, steering linkages, ball joints/TRE, etc, a loose panel, and so forth, could also be going on...as a coinsidence because its a ~ 9+ year old truck, and stuff wears out.

If in the drivetrain, the u-joints are OK when rotated by the rear diff, but cocked up when rotated by the output shaft, that can also be a contender, as already discussed.

Sometimes a forward/reverse clunk can be heard from them in these cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts