Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 05 OR (120k on it) that I've had since new. I think my head gasket(s) are blown. I need some opinions on if you think I am correct and what my options are to fix it.

About 3 months ago, my Xterra started to overheat and I could not find any leaks anywhere. I did not notice any white smoke coming out of the exhaust or anything in the engine bay. I filled it up and it seems like it was back to normal. Two weeks ago, it once again started to overheat and again the radiator was bone dry. This time though, it would not start. The engine turns over but it does not want to spark. I checked underneath the X and saw radiator coolant coming out of the muffler! So I am assuming the head gasket is the source of the issue and that there is coolant in the cylinders and heads (that is why it will not spark).

So, assuming there is coolant in the cylinders/heads, is the engine done at this point, or can I get away with replacing just the head gaskets?

Another question I have is how hard is this to do? I have done some repairs before (alternator, fuel sender, trans/radiator bypass) but nothing on this level. How much would I be looking to spend if I had some one do it?

The good thing is that this not my daily driver so if I did the repairs myself, I can take my time.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
621 Posts
Aslong as it isnt in the oil you should be fine just dont run it with that coolant in there. Youl need new plugs well not need but should get new plugs since there fouled.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
If you do it your self around $800 usd you need to have the heads re surfaced,valve seals , guides checked , crack check , need all the gaskets , new head bolts , a few hose that are hard to get to so would change now .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts