Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try and describe what my Xterra is doing to the best of my ability. At times, when I'm accelerating very slowly (low RPMs) the Xterra will delay its acceleration, the RPMs jump up (like if I pushed the clutch in or something) and then kick back in with accelerating when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (automatic transmission). It only does it when I'm accelerating very slowly.

A handful of years ago I've gotten a TPS code, so I've replaced that. That seemed to have fixed the problem. Less than a year I had the same problem. So, for the last year or so now I've been dealing with the RPMs jumping while accelerating slowly. I do not have a check engine light. I'm getting about 50 miles less per tank of gas.

A friend told me that he thinks it's still the TPS, so I replaced it again with a different brand. The performance seems a little better, but I still have the jumping RPMs while shifting. Any ideas of what to do now?

* '04 Xterra XE
* 116k miles
* transmission as been serviced

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would agree on it being the tps or the maf sensor. Though i would check the screw that adjust the idle on the throttle body. That screw on mine backs itself out over time. But dont touch it dont move it any at all unless you see its backed out and have a feeler guage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree on it being the tps or the maf sensor. Though i would check the screw that adjust the idle on the throttle body. That screw on mine backs itself out over time. But dont touch it dont move it any at all unless you see its backed out and have a feeler guage.
Well I cleaned the MAF sensor and...no luck. I still need to check the screw on the throttle body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I read on another forum that sometimes the MAF sensor just needs to be unplugged, start the engine, turn the engine off, then plug the MAF sensor back in again. I also tried to readjust the TPS. Well everything is running great now! No more jumping RPMs while slowly accelerating. I caused a check engine light to come on because I started the engine without the MAF sensor being plugged in. I just have to get that code cleared somehow now. Anyways, problem solved! Thanks for the suggestions B1GJ4Y!

·
Registered
5 Posts
MAF,TPS, or ECM?

So i have had the same problem with RPMs jumping it was just going form first into second but now its starting doing it going form second to third. My mechanic said there is no voltage going to the TPS (it reads 0 when he tested it) He checked the TPS to see if that needed replaced but it didn't. He said it must be my ECM and Ill need a new one.

After reading this thread I feel more confused on what to do. Get a new ECM try what you did by removing MAF, starting engine, then putting it back in.

Please drop your knowledge on me as I am eager to learn and get this fixed!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ok well if there is no voltage 1 of 2 things is wrong. The wire going to it either is broke or disconnected or ecm is bad. Though i would count on the wire computer related part usually never go bad unless they have been put in water. I would like to have known how he tested the tps as being good with no voltage though. Thats kinda odd. Though you should try it yourself or watch someone do it in person so you know for sure that the tps works or doesnt get voltage etc etc. Though if it has voltage its probably just out of spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts