Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this Xterra with slightly larger tires than the stock size 265/75/16 and they rub. I'm thinking a 2"inch BL along with different shocks will be all I need to stop the rubbing. I don't do much more than get into some deep mud or snow with it.. Do I have the right idea

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
839 Posts
Shocks won’t add clearance. A body lift will but you’d want to check first if the torsion bars have been cranked up or not. The front suspension is adjustable and I think you could clear those if you raise it. You may need shackles or an add a lead in the back to level it out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a forum search for PML or poor mans lift.
Shocks won’t add clearance. A body lift will but you’d want to check first if the torsion bars have been cranked up or not. The front suspension is adjustable and I think you could clear those if you raise it. You may need shackles or an add a lead in the back to level it out
I've lifted the front end by turning the torsion bars and cut the plastics with a zip wheel on an angle grinder. Where I'm rubbing is at the back side of the front wheel well. Theres a 2" BL kit that comes with urethane pucks and the bolts but no bumper relocation brackets. Can I get those separately ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got this Xterra with slightly larger tires than the stock size 265/75/16 and they rub. I'm thinking a 2"inch BL along with different shocks will be all I need to stop the rubbing. I don't do much more than get into some deep mud or snow with it.. Do I have the right idea
Scotty, can you see inside the fender wells to locate where the tires are rubbing? I have 285/75/16 Mud Terrain tires on my ‘13 Pro4X. I had a slight rub on braking turns and found a small place where the tire rubbed inside the front fender well. I “massaged” the inside of the fender well with a hammer and the rubbing went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that year Xterra have the plastics at the back of the front fender ? If you worked the front fender to accommodate the larger tire what did you do with the plastic ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scotty, can you see inside the fender wells to locate where the tires are rubbing? I have 285/75/16 Mud Terrain tires on my ‘13 Pro4X. I had a slight rub on braking turns and found a small place where the tire rubbed inside the front fender well. I “massaged” the inside of the fender well with a hammer and the rubbing went away.
What did you do to the plastics at the back side of the front fenders. I can remove the plastics and probably manipulate the back of the fender but it's rubbing the plastics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did you do to the plastics at the back side of the front fenders. I can remove the plastics and probably manipulate the back of the fender but it's rubbing the plastics.
You can heat up the plastic with a heat shrink gun and push it back to give clearance to the tire. If you don’t have one of those, maybe a Bernz-O-Matic torch. Be sure to have a damp towel to throw over it in case you ignite the plastic. I bought a heat shrink gun at Lowe’s for around $20 when I installed my aftermarket receiver.
I don’t think a hair dryer has enough heat to make the plastic pliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts