Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the blue '04 Xterra super charged 4x4 left me stranded. Engine turns over and sputters and you can smell gas. Thought it might be fuel pump related, but my mechanic has had it for 10 days and can't seem to diagnose the problem. He says it cranks normally 3 out of 4 times. I will be taking the vehicle to another repair shop soon. Any experience with such issues? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take out one spark plug connect it to the spark plug wire and place it on a grounded part of the car make sure threaded part is touching ground, have someone else crank it for a few seconds, does it spark? If it sparks then at least your HT system works, maybe out of timing, maybe bad plugs, cracked spark plug wires, cap/rotor bad injectors, fuel regulator.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can also test your distributor. I had the same issue and I ended up having zero spark coming from it. Kind of pricey to replace but a pretty quick and easy repair

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
crank or cam position sensor (if cam you have to replace distributor) fuel filter is clogged or your dizzy is bad, pop the cap and rotor off the dizzy and shine a flashlight down the shaft the rotor sits on, if you see metallic colored or red colored dust or shavings in there, its the dizzy. have the codes read see if there are any (ignore p0325 or 0328 if seen) that will help us help you more

1 - 5 of 5 Posts