Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m installing a 2.5'' Rancho Suspension lift on my 04 X. However it says it will only fir up to 31.62'' tall tires. I already purchached 33x12.5R15 for it. Will I need to mod my front end? 31 inch tires for an almost 3 inches of lift sounds funky to me. I figured it'd tuck 33s.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Suspension lift does not give you more space for larger tires. Cutting metal or Body lift will give you more space for larger tires though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah that makes no sense. My stock(ish) 265/75/16 tires are 31.6" tall. I would think you would EASILY fit 33's. Not sure about "tucking" them though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
As SRStaff said SLs with IFS do not give you room for larger tires. This is because when you compress you compress straight up and still compress as much as you would at STOCK height. So yes, they will fit at ride height, but as soon as you hit a bump or compress for another reason you'll rub.

This is why BLs are popular with X's as they increase the space your tire has to compress. A 2" BL will allow's a 33" tire to be fit comfortably.

You should be able to fit 32s though, not just a 31.5" with your Rancho Lift.

So to answer your question:
You'll either need to cut your front fenders (quite a bit) or get a 2" BL in order for the 33s to be able to compress properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i understand. Well F the IFS then. Looks like ill be doing a PML, torsion and 1.5'' shackles, and an inch or 2 body lift for the time being. Thank you for the responses.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Man I fit 32' at stock height.. just had to trim some plastic mudflaps with a zip wheel as it would rub at full lock on the front bumper part

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Most "32's" are actual height range of 31.4-31.7" that is why Rancho has that size listed. Offset also affects the overall diameter. The more you push the wheel out; the more you cut. This also holds true if you add a BL.

·
Registered
787 Posts
yeah i understand. Well F the IFS then. Looks like ill be doing a PML, torsion and 1.5'' shackles, and an inch or 2 body lift for the time being. Thank you for the responses.
Haha seriously! If time and funds provide I'll be doing a SAS once I'm out of college. Goodbye IFS!

I'd go with the 2" BL. Just as much work and you get another inch. Good luck man!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Most "32's" are actual height range of 31.4-31.7" that is why Rancho has that size listed. Offset also affects the overall diameter. The more you push the wheel out; the more you cut. This also holds true if you add a BL.
Good point. If you want true 32s the tire will actually read "32x11.5r15" (mine for example) or something around that. Width and rim size can vary obviously.

Side note on BS. I'm running those 32s mentioned above on rims w/4.75 BS with a 3" SL and everything stuffs and turns great with all mudflaps removed :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Just to give you a perfect example; the 32x11.50x15 BFG KO2 that ThompsonXTerra has are actually 31.54" overall diameter. The tread width is more narrower than most companies also. Just the way BFG likes to make their tires. You can also see with them being on the small side that he still had to take the mud flaps off due to his 4.75" BS wheels vs the OEM 5.5" BS that would have allowed him to keep his mud flaps. Every tire manufacturer has their interpretation of each tire size they make. Not all manufacturers give complete specs either. Sometimes that could mean the difference between cutting plastic or metal.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just to give you a perfect example; the 32x11.50x15 BFG KO2 that ThompsonXTerra has are actually 31.54" overall diameter. The tread width is more narrower than most companies also. Just the way BFG likes to make their tires. You can also see with them being on the small side that he still had to take the mud flaps off due to his 4.75" BS wheels vs the OEM 5.5" BS that would have allowed him to keep his mud flaps. Every tire manufacturer has their interpretation of each tire size they make. Not all manufacturers give complete specs either. Sometimes that could mean the difference between cutting plastic or metal.
ACTUALLY mine are 32" in diameter. I measured them. A 275/75r15 would be closer to that measurement.

Plus a 31.5" would've fit fine without the mudflaps, maybe the 32s would've too, even with 4.75" BS. I just prefer the look without them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The formula is straightforward. Width (mm)/ 25.4 mm/inch x profile ratio (%) x 2 + wheel diameter = total diameter.

For instance: 275/75R15 equals

275/25.4 x .75 x 2 + 15 = 31.24 inches

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The formula above is correct. The process of making a tire is more complicated than that unfortunately. Along with what the manufacturer is trying to achieve with the tire. Back to the main subject of the post though. Only BL and/or metal cutting for 33x12.50x15 on the 1st Gen Xterra. You can get narrow 33's with stock BS wheels as long as the skinny 33's are on the short side. Those can be done without a BL and metal cutting. People have done it. But people on here have a tendency to look down on them when they have anything less than a 33x12.50x15. So there are options with a 33" tire. Just depends on the route you want to go and what your preferences are for offroad use.

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just put BFG T/A KO2's on mine. 265/75R16 = 31.65" with no lift. I removed the plastic trim from the front wheel wells just in case, but probably could have left the trim on with no problem. Stock wheels so stock backspace.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
LOL ill trust BFG before an eyeballed tape measure. ever heard of parallax?

never heard anything but solid info from staff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts