Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The X has been sitting since the beginning of quarantine. The last time I drove it it had a hard time starting. Found the battery terminal was COMPLETELY corroded and the battery was shot. It has been sitting for the last two months since I've been furloughed.
Went and bought a new battery and installed it today. Tripped the alarm (scared me to death!). Got that reset. Tried to start it and I can hear the starter whir a bit but it won't turn over. I get all the lights and dummy dingers but it won't start. After trying to crank it a few times (just a second or two each time) it started to smell like 'hot electrical'.
The starter was replaced about 1000 miles ago.
Thoughts? Other than a bullet through the hood!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid on the starter is not engaging, the part that pushes a spinning gear into the flywheel.
you may be needing to replace it again soon, not engaging and burnt electrical smell aren’t good signs.
the old standard fix was to tap the starter with a hammer or wrench to get it unstuck. One person or If possible two person operation, one Tapping, one trying the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a quick follow up... let it sit overnight and tried it again in the morning. Turned the key and it turned over ONCE but still won't start. I had a friend try the key while I watched under the hood. The belts start to turn but then nothing. Hooked up an A/C battery charger with a start assist and it acts like it wants to go but it just won't catch.
I'm really hoping its not the starter because I swore I'd never do that again (it was not a fun job!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more update. It started! It struggled mightily but finally caught! Drove it around the neighborhood for 15 minutes or so, it runs like crap but it ran. Shut it off and tried to restart it and I can hear something grinding/rubbing like something is catching and not letting the engine spin freely. Checked the oil and it is low, but not to the point that I think that's the issue.
Keep the ideas coming fam!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, ok, ONE last update. Something is drawing on the battery. As I mentioned it is 3 days old at this point... Checked the voltage after the drive and it has dropped to 12.89v. Not a TON but something is drawing energy.

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
418 Posts
What was the starter replaced with? OEM quality? Or something that may not be as reliable? It’s possible the starter isn’t disengaging entirely but I think that would make it drive real shakey, cuz it’d be messing with the engine/transmissions actual ability to spin freely. How is everything else about the engine? Any engine lights? Vacuum leaks? Any idea why it was running like crap before hand?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What was the starter replaced with? OEM quality? Or something that may not be as reliable? It’s possible the starter isn’t disengaging entirely but I think that would make it drive real shakey, cuz it’d be messing with the engine/transmissions actual ability to spin freely. How is everything else about the engine? Any engine lights? Vacuum leaks? Any idea why it was running like crap before hand?
It was a reputable OEM starter (I try and never cheap out on parts). While I had it running it sounded like it was slightly backfiring. When I had my emmissions test done in Feb the report showed that the left bank was running lean. I chocked a lot of the issues to the 190k on the odometer...

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
418 Posts
Lots could be wrong at that point! Those cats are probably plugged up quite a bit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts