Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new old Xterra and front right door speaker is rattling so I picked up a 6 1/2" speaker which amazon said was a direct replacement.

After taking a door apart and taking speaker out the mounting holes don't look even close to what I have in a new speaker, not to mention a harness.

Is there a transition kit? Do I need a different speaker? Any suggestions?

Thank You

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm a bit late to the show here, but I recently replaced my door speakers as well, and I know your struggle. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures, but here's the best way that I found to get them in there:

1. When you remove the old speakers, there's a black spacer that's bolted onto the door with three bolts. Remove this.
- There is a plastic alignment pin sticking out. Cut this off so it's flush.
2. Loosely screw in the first screw to attach the new speaker to the spacer bracket thing you just removed.
3. The remaining screw holes didn't match up for me exactly, so I had to angle the screws through the speaker frame holes to get just the tip of the screw into the spacer hole.
4. Once you have the tip of the screw in there, start screwing it in while applying a little pressure to get the screw to angle back up. I didn't need much pressure; the screw just kind of righted itself up on its own. Don't tighten this all the way down yet.
5. Rinse & repeat for the last hole. (You might only need to do this for the LAST hole anyway)
6. Once you got 'em all in there, finish tightening up all the screws. Make sure not to over-tighten them!

The plastic spacer should flex enough to allow you to make this work. It did for me anyway. Then once you have it all screwed in, just bolt the spacer back onto the door and you're good to go!

This may be a little too late for you, but hopefully it'll help someone else in the future!

· Registered
2,287 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
I recall having to ghetto rig mine to fit in the Frontier as well.

The useless 4" speakers in the back are a whole 'nother story, might as well just remove them entirely.

· Registered
188 Posts
I recall having to ghetto rig mine to fit in the Frontier as well.

The useless 4" speakers in the back are a whole 'nother story, might as well just remove them entirely.
Hey, I just saw this post. I'm just curious what you are referring to here. The back speakers being "worthless"? I don't know of this applies, but I had my rear back speaker (cargo area) not working and I traced the wires up to the radio to find a manufacturing defect in the wiring. Once I re-pinned the connector in the passenger-side kick panel, I had working speakers!! :)

Check out my thread here...
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160210

:)

· Registered
392 Posts
I'm in a Frontier so that comment may not be relevant.

My dinky 4" rear door speakers are completely covered by the back seat with the door closed. You can barely hear them with the balance all the way to the back. Brilliant design. Reason #5674 I should have bought a Toyota!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.