Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm confused about what's wrong with my Xterra. I just got new General Grabber AT2 tires installed, and now when I go around a pretty good corner, I get this odd pop/clunk kind of thing from the back. I've been noticing a gradual increasing whine in the back, but until recently it really was rather quiet. However now, it's louder, along with the clunk.

To me, it kinda seems like when you have a Posi rear, and one wheel is trying to spin faster than the other, so you get that binding and eventual clunk when it releases.

However, this is the stock rear, which is supposed to be open, right? This all started happening after I got the new tires. I can't understand why new tires would have this effect though. Is it possible the rear was already worn, and these new heavier tires are putting more strain on it? I had cheap all seasons before this.

Just for the heck of it, I tried putting it in and out of 4wd, and that didn't seem to resolve the problem. So, I'm at a loss. What do you guys think is wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Jon

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I figured out what it is. All I had to do was look at the back. Turns out it's not the rear at all. I somehow managed to break the bracket that mounts the rear sway bar to the frame! Wierd! How'd that happen?

Any idea where to get a new bracket? I changed the bushings about a year ago. Wonder if I somehow installed it wrong? Or is that just a fatigue item from northeast winters?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.