Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Lynchburg, Va. I have very similar if not exact same problem as Muhoms1. I had my X for three days and it wouldn't start. Installed a new battery, terminal ends and had starter checked. security light blinks every second suggesting security system is disengaged but key won't even turn starter over. Towed to local mechanic who spent full day troubleshooting and ended up getting solution from local Nissan dealership to use key in driver door lock with key turned to lock and unlock for specific time periods and it unlocked. Mechanic said if I had repeat problem to call and he would walk me through unlocking security lock out. I paid for an hour diagnostics and new relay and all was well for another month or so. last week it happened again at home so I called and Mech. was on vacation. waited for his return and he tried to remember key moves but to no avail. he didn't want more $$ he just forgot. we tried many variations but to no avail. He suggested I tow truck to Nissan and pay for diagnostic to see why repeat of lock out. My question is this, if a simple key in the door lock and turning left/right for x amount of time is all that is needed to override lockout why is it not in the manual or more common knowledge on the net? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Have you had similar issues to release security lockout with a key without a keyfob. I have no keyfob, previous owner lost all. Question: can I remove the security fuse block from under the hood next to the battery and just not use the security system which causes so much trouble?? Mystified in Va. Doug.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Maybe worth trying?

nstructions

Resetting the Alarm

Close all of your car doors.

Insert one key in the door lock and cycle it to the "Lock" position, and then back to the "Unlock" position two times. Leave the key in the lock cylinder.

Enter your car and insert your key into the ignition cylinder.

Cycle the key in the ignition from the "Off" position to the "On" position twice in a row. The alarm will emit a chirping sound after turning the ignition to the "On" position the second time. This will reset the alarm, making it ready for reprogramming (if necessary).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
two key security reset didn't work for me.

Xtacular,
thank you for your suggestion, I have had similar suggestions from the net searches for suggestions. Unfortunately it did not facilitate the starter turning over for me. My first start failure reset by my mechanic only used one key.
If I get this started in future you think disconnecting the alarm system would keep the problem from recurring? I don't need the alarm system as much as a reliable start to the truck. Does anyone think I could simply pull the alarm fuse from under the hood next to the battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. I had it two years ago and after a few intermittent starts and failures, it corrected itself. This time it has not. Could you please be a bit more specific about the location of the anti-theft fuse?

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine is not labeled anti-theft, and don't see one anywhere else, cant get my truck started no lights no dash no blinky light, tried a couple lock out procedures none seem to work

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 Xterra and I'm having issues with the security system also where it doesn't want to start, no dash lights, no starter clicks nothing, the gauges in the dash board shake but that's it, 2 times in 1 month, the first time I removed the battery and took it to get tested, it was good, when I reinstalled the battery the truck started, 2nd time I tried the key in the door trick but that didn't work, also tried to cycle on and off for a few seconds and didn't work either, so I removed both battery cables waited about 2 to 3 minutes, reconnected the battery and the truck started again, I would like to disable the security system so I don't have to be removing the battery cables every time this happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
02 Xterra wont start

I have no security light on the dash (which appears to meant the alarm is armed) no alarm sounds when opening the door. Key fob randomly quit working (battery in key fob is good) changed starter, battery tested good, fuses seem to be good for anti theft and n&p/interlock. I was able to put a wire from the 1 position on the n&P/interlock fuse to the ground on the battery and the car would start. This appears to bypass the security system. i have tried the key trick, several that i have read actually. Nothing seems to work. Need help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Xterra brand new in 2011. I immediately knew the automatic door locks would cause me major lock out problems and upon buying car at dealership asked for automatic locks to be disabled. Was quoted $1500.00 to disable. I did not have it done, as I thought the price was ridiculous. I have locked myself out several times, but always had spare key with me. I otherwise always use the fob to lock/unlock the car.
In October 2016, in middle of Nevada desert with no cell phone service, my sister tried to unlock the car with the key, not the fob. The locks started locking and unlocking, making a clicking noise, then locked. We could not get into the car. After about 60 minutes of trying every few minutes, the door finally unlocked with the fob, but the motor wouldn't start. Another 90 minutes later, the car started. We drove to Tonopah, where mechanic could find nothing wrong with the car. We drove to Lee Vining and the next morning the car wouldn't start. Mechanic in Lee Vining jump started battery and told us to try and make it to Gardnerville. Gardnerville tested battery, (which was only 3 months old and under warranty) and said battery no good and that the key/lock incident had nothing to do with it. Had to drive to Carson City for the warranty to be honored. Just made it to town when car died. Mechanic in Carson City said charging system fine and replaced battery.
5 days later, while driving on freeway, car suddenly died and then would not start. No warning. Dash lights come on, but no crank. Again, new battery. In July 2017, another new battery. Nobody would take seriously that this all started with the key/lock incident.
In October 2017, in Nevada desert near Ely, car again will not start. Towed to Ely. Mechanic reports he had similar security system problem with his Oldsmobile. Says that once you have had a problem with security system, you will have continual problems until you find which computer command module is the problem. Quoted me over $800 to replace one module, and that if replacing first one doesn't work you replace another, with there being a total of 3 modules. Would have to wait 5 days for part to arrive, and there are no rental cars or taxi service in Ely. I had the car towed to Nissan dealer in Las Vegas.
Nissan Las Vegas diagnosed bad battery tie down, causing wire to arc against the metal tie down. They replaced tie down, charged battery, said problem had nothing to do with door lock incident and that from now on get all work done at a Nissan dealer. Bragged about saving me the cost of a command module.
Returned to California, and five days later, car won't start. Took to local Nissan dealer. I insisted I wanted an electrical system expert to look at the car and explained my story. Service rep insisted lock issue has nothing to do with repeat battery death and wrote on service ticket, " Car won't start after sitting for 45 minutes" . "Electrical expert" (if there was one) doesn't even get to hear my story. They diagnosed Nissan Las Vegas didn't attach battery ground wire correctly, and corrrected it, and charged the battery. They refused my request to please disable the security system, and would not give me an estimate to do so.
On 12/21/17, another new battery. I now just wait in dread for the next time the car dies or does not start and cannot trust the car to go off-road or where there is no cell service. Totally defeats purpose of having 4WD. Should I start having computer command modules replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe worth trying?

nstructions

Resetting the Alarm

Insert one key in the door lock and cycle it to the "Lock" position, and then back to the "Unlock" position two times. Leave the key in the lock cylinder.

Cycle the key in the ignition from the "Off" position to the "On" position twice in a row. The alarm will emit a chirping sound after turning the ignition to the "On" position the second time. This will reset the alarm, making it ready for reprogramming (if necessary).
Is this procedure good for all model years? Accidentally locked my keys into my 2000 at work and left the key in the ACC position, draining the battery. Tried to use coat hanger to open the door, but it was taking too long as I had to be back on shift in the morning and this shift ended at 1AM. My boss was helping me and being in security and former military, he joked about using his window tool to break in when we started. Not wanting to pay for new glass, I turned it down at first. Once I realized the hanger was taking too long, I told him to break it. We got in, popped the hood and jumped the battery. It started, and got me home. Getting in the following morning, I tried to start it and it wouldn't crank the starter. It's got power, since the dash lights and stereo have power, but nothing cranks. I hear the fuel pump priming... Being able to reset the security system is what I figure will get it running again. I'd like to keep that intact, but if I have to pull relay and/or fuse, I'll do it if it allows me to drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This TOTALLY just worked for us and saved a lot of time, money, and frustration:

Instructions- you’ll need two keys to the car

Resetting the Alarm
1 Close all of your car doors.
2 Insert one key in the driver’s door lock and cycle it to the "Lock" position, and then back to the "Unlock" position two times. Leave the key in the door.
3 Opem the door and enter your car and insert your key into the ignition.
4 Cycle the key in the ignition from the "Off" position to the "On" (not crank, just on) position twice in a row. The alarm will emit a chirping sound after turning the ignition to the "On" position the second time. This will reset the alarm.
5 Crank car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
02 Xterra wont start

I have no security light on the dash (which appears to meant the alarm is armed) no alarm sounds when opening the door. Key fob randomly quit working (battery in key fob is good) changed starter, battery tested good, fuses seem to be good for anti theft and n&p/interlock. I was able to put a wire from the 1 position on the n&P/interlock fuse to the ground on the battery and the car would start. This appears to bypass the security system. i have tried the key trick, several that i have read actually. Nothing seems to work. Need help!
Where in the n/p interlock located?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe worth trying?

nstructions

Resetting the Alarm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe worth trying?

nstructions

Resetting the Alarm

Omg I can't thank you enough as this just happened to my car with my granddaughters n myself in it n your post fixed it.you awesome thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts