Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was doing the belts and I realized the bolt on the PS tension was bent. Took the brackets off for both the AC and the PS pulleys. and removed the bolt from the ps tensioner.

this is what It looks like.

Am I stuck buying a new PS tensioner + bolt combo( I dont see just the bolt anywhere online)
Or can I perhaps buy a grade 10 bolt in ACE hardware or whatnot (without that lip section like on the tensioner bolt) and simply run that?

Pics

·
Registered
845 Posts
The collar on that original bolt is required for it to hold tension properly. You could buy a standard bolt of proper length and slip a oversized nut up over the bolt shank near the nut head as per the original and tack weld it in place to duplicate the collar function.

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm i think I'm going to see if Ace has a bolt long enough and i will use 2 jam nuts locktite in place to simulate that lip section. Seems like there is enough room for them to spin and get this back installed

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The collar on that original bolt is required for it to hold tension properly. You could buy a standard bolt of proper length and slip a oversized nut up over the bolt shank near the nut head as per the original and tack weld it in place to duplicate the collar function.
I just realized the pulley bolt is reverse thread. Idk if my hardware store even carried lefties.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
It's late, but let me look around here. I got a new idler last year and may still have the old one. If so, I think it came with a new bolt but I'm not sure. I'll post on Sunday and let you know.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
Well, I looked around my place to see if I still have the old tensioner. I think I do, but I must have hidden it from burglars in a safe spot!

I popped the hood of the 2001 (I also have a 2004) and took these pics in the vicinity of the PS tensioner. One shows the head of the bolt and the other the threads through a small window. It's the original bolt, so I'm sure that a new one was not part of my replacement. After having gotten some sleep, I was more alert this morning and also don't recall getting a bolt in the small, square box that the new idler came in.

Unfortunately, Rock Auto shows only the smooth pulley for the backside of the PS belt, and a right-handed thread that comes with the other tensioner, but no left-handed bolt.

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the bolt again and it indeed is left threading. The AC pulley on the other hand is right threading. Not sure why this is so in my truck.

But i found a old pulley and bracket on ebay for 35 so i might just do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts