Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can start it by jumping the wire that goes to the starter sometimes. But it will not start or crank from the key.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Manual 3.3L NA V6
30 Posts
What is the year of your vehicle? Also, manual or automatic transmission?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you had your battery tested?

I would start by checking all your fuses, specifically the #5 fuse (brake switch, security) and the #12 fuse (park/neutral position switch, A/T control), both on the panel underneath the left side of the steering wheel.

Nissan-Xterra-1999-2004-fuse-diagram-in1a.jpg

Then in the electrical box in the engine compartment by your battery, check fuses E and F (Ignition switch and SECU respectively)

For reference, starter circuit per the Factory Service Manual is as follows:

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,139 Posts
But it starts when I jump the relay or bypass it. 1 to2 3 to 4 5to 6
A caution about electrical mods: You could easily fry some very expensive modules and/or cause more expensive damage than you started with by pulling relays and stuffing in wires to fill slots. If you don't understand it, stop and get some help.

Which relay did you pull and then bypass with wires? Was it the PNP relay or the Vehicle Security relay?

I ask because on the PNP there's no "4" and on the VSR there's no "6".

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,139 Posts
Additionally, you should see about downloading the FSMs. Even though you aren't good at reading wiring diagrams, the FSM has a checklist that walks you through what to check, pin by pin, so you can troubleshoot the issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I assume you're saying you jumped the Park Neutral Position Switch relay and were able to start the car.

Let me give you a rundown of the circuit schematic. I have edited out the security system part of the schematic for clarity. This is what your schematic would look like if your car did not come with a security system installed.

1. Anyways, with the key in the START position, voltage is applied from the battery, through the ignition switch and to terminal "5" on the relay. However, the connection between terminals "3" and "5" is open; no current can flow though the relay to the starter. When the car is not in neutral or park, current cannot flow through the Park Neutral Position Switch (PNP) to the relay either.

2. When the vehicle is placed in Park or Neutral, the PNP circuit becomes closed and current is able to flow across the PNP relay (terminals "1" & "2"). This activates the relay and closes the relay connection between terminals "3" and "5" of the PNP relay allowing starter to be energized.

I would say if you bypassed the PNP relay and it started but you replaced the relay and it did not start, you either have an issue in your PNP circuit or security circuit. I would check terminal "2" of your PNP relay when your vehicle is in park and neutral. Put the hot lead of a voltmeter on terminal "2" of the PNP relay and ground the other. If you do not have 12 volts at terminal "2" of the PNP relay while your car is in park and neutral, then your PNP switch is faulty preventing your relay from closing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would that have anything to do with loosing reverse.i lost reverse the last time I drove the vehicle before this no crank no start situation occured

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a failing park/neutral switch. Trying to start in park is a 50/50 proposition, but it still always starts in neutral.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts