Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to replace the fan shroud on my 03. It hasn't had one since I bought it a few years ago and it's just started to overheat when it idles for awhile in hot weather. It has an upper and lower shroud, the lower just being a thin strip of plastic that easily attaches to the upper. I was wondering if I could attach the lower piece before dropping it into place, or if I'm going to have to go under it and take off the guard plate to put it on. Looks like I could drop it in already attached but there could be something in the way that I'm not seeing right off the bat. If anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any tips!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. That's what I thought from watching an install on a Pathfinder. Guess if there were a shortcut, someone would have posted about it by now!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Splitting it is the shortcut. I’ve removed far more 2nd gen fan shrouds than 1st gen but on the newer ones you can remove it in one piece if you take the fan out at the same time. Usually only saves time if you’re doing a water pump or timing chains

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4
17 Posts
I replaced my radiator a few weeks back and found that attaching the lower part to the upper was easier from underneath. Plus it made it easier to clip the power steering lines in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I bought my Xterra with a rebuilt title and it had been in a front end collision. As I'm having to replace certain parts, I'm realizing it wasn't repaired very well and that I got a pretty crappy deal. I had to hacksaw a portion of the upper shroud off to get it to fit around the steering box. It was the correct part, but I'm guessing it didn't fit due the previous damage and shoddy repair work. Crossing my fingers it doesn't impair the functionality of the shroud too much! Once I had the shroud in, the fan was hitting the shroud on the driver's side. I saw that on that side there was no space between the fan and the shroud, but there was inches of space on the other side. I had to woman-handle it and bend out the upper shroud a bit, but now it's not hitting anymore. Ugh. Lesson learned... don't buy a "rebuilt" anything from anyone that you're not familiar with the quality of their work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts