Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Late last year i just bought 03 Exterra with 190K miles. Turn out, it is given me lot of trouble from A-Z. Bottom line is, car is running and could not pass 60 mph, and the RPM is high (5k or 6k). i have replace all spark plus, ICA valve, clean up a throttle, Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. It is get better than before (only up to 40 pmh), but I need to know what wrong with the car. I also attached some pictures of OBD2 scanner, and don't know how to read or what looking for...Need your helps!!! Thanks all in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Late last year i just bought 03 Exterra with 190K miles. Turn out, it is given me lot of trouble from A-Z. Bottom line is, car is running and could not pass 60 mph, and the RPM is high (5k or 6k). i have replace all spark plus, ICA valve, clean up a throttle, Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. It is get better than before (only up to 40 pmh), but I need to know what wrong with the car. I also attached some pictures of OBD2 scanner, and don't know how to read or what looking for...Need your helps!!! Thanks all in advance.
See some issues with the scanner data readings. Your ignition timing reading is 6% and I believe you should be seeing about 16% there. That's controlled by rotating the distributor if you know what that is. Also your "short term fuel trim" for both banks 1 and 2 sensor 2 are both sky high at 99%. The sensor 1 reading for both banks are looking good at 5% but none of them should ideally be above 10% is my understanding. I hope a working Master Mechanic like Blackberry can confirm or deny my observations here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi XT2015,

So, what is your recommendation?
1) replacing new distributor?
2) replacing both bank1 & bank 2 (short term fuel trim)?
BTW, 1 of the sensor (sensor 2 bank 1) was replaced before i posted. Thanks

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
Difficult to say what it even means by timing advance. Is that 6 degrees before base timing or before tdc? 6 BTDC would not be enough. We’ve been told by Nissan that our scanners don’t always even look at the same data. Many values are put through an algorithm to make them OBD2 compatible when the values I read don’t have to comply to any standards.
That being said...

not sure if your engine computer even has a limp mode.

your computer is much better at detecting faults, so step 1 is always to check for codes

your transmission could be not shifting into 4th which would explain a top speed of 60mph at 6000 rpm

confirming the ignition timing like XT2015 suggested is never a bad idea

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi XT2015,

So, what is your recommendation?
1) replacing new distributor?
2) replacing both bank1 & bank 2 (short term fuel trim)?
BTW, 1 of the sensor (sensor 2 bank 1) was replaced before i posted. Thanks
No don't be jumping in to replacing the distributor at this point. That's not a cheap swap and try to get lucky part. Get a mechanic to check your ignition timing to see if the distributor is adjusted to be giving you the proper spark advance timing according to the vehicle spec. Bank 1 and Bank 2 refer to the sides of the engine. I believe Bank 1 is the passenger side. Interpreting the possible causes for the high 99% fuel trim readings on the #2 banks is for a seasoned mechanic that deals with these things day to day. My interpretation of the numbers comes from using a scanner on my 2015 Xterra and reading OBD 2 documentation relative to those parameters. It could well be a fuel related issue that is driving those numbers and you will need some hands on trouble shooting by a mechanic to shed some light on that. I would have thought your scanner data would have included a total code count listing. Maybe you just didn't record that screen. Good thoughts from Blackberry so let him know if your transmission is shifting in to 4th and have that ignition timing checked please. Standing by.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Difficult to say what it even means by timing advance. Is that 6 degrees before base timing or before tdc? 6 BTDC would not be enough. We’ve been told by Nissan that our scanners don’t always even look at the same data. Many values are put through an algorithm to make them OBD2 compatible when the values I read don’t have to comply to any standards.
That being said...

not sure if your engine computer even has a limp mode.

your computer is much better at detecting faults, so step 1 is always to check for codes

your transmission could be not shifting into 4th which would explain a top speed of 60mph at 6000 rpm

confirming the ignition timing like XT2015 suggested is never a bad idea
I looked up the OBD II Data definitions and this is what they posted for the spark advance data reading.
  • Ignition Timing Advance -- Degrees of ignition timing (spark) advance for #1 cylinder (not including mechanical advance). Intake Manifold
I also connected up my Autel scanner to my 2015 Gen 2 and looked at the data parameters and found my ignition timing spark advance running pretty steady at 15 degrees at 650 rpm idle. Don't know if that compares directly to his Gen 1 spark advance reading but it's the same OBD 2 data parameter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked up the OBD II Data definitions and this is what they posted for the spark advance data reading.
  • Ignition Timing Advance -- Degrees of ignition timing (spark) advance for #1 cylinder (not including mechanical advance). Intake Manifold
I also connected up my Autel scanner to my 2015 Gen 2 and looked at the data parameters and found my ignition timing spark advance running pretty steady at 15 degrees at 650 rpm idle. Don't know if that compares directly to his Gen 1 spark advance reading but it's the same OBD 2 data parameter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks XT2015, I'm agreed with you and Blackberry that, need to check out ignition timing advance by mechanic (could not find a good one yet!!!) and i think you are the best!!!. BTW, as you have seen mine was at 6 degrees, and it is lower than expected value. Anyway, do you think the throttle position sensor has any related to the ignition timimg? I asked that because i had replaced it server months ago and did not pay closer attention on the adjustment....too many problem with this car...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks XT2015, I'm agreed with you and Blackberry that, need to check out ignition timing advance by mechanic (could not find a good one yet!!!) and i think you are the best!!!. BTW, as you have seen mine was at 6 degrees, and it is lower than expected value. Anyway, do you think the throttle position sensor has any related to the ignition timimg? I asked that because i had replaced it server months ago and did not pay closer attention on the adjustment....too many problem with this car...
I'm not familiar with all the possible interactions of the throttle position sensor but it seems there is a possibility with all the computer system interdependencies they have going on. Blackberry is your guy to call to the stand to provide testimony on that particular subject. He is the Master and we are only attempting to snatch the pebble from his hand.

·
Registered
494 Posts
FYI reference on TPS. Good detailed information that will help us "Get Smart".
Part 1 -How to Test the Throttle Position Sensor (Nissan 3.3L) (troubleshootmyvehicle.com)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You could buy a meter and check the TPS

you could buy a timing light and check the timing.

the high engine speed and low vehicle speed sounds like you’re missing fourth gear. This could be due to TPS adjustment but the fact that you or someone else put a TCC solenoid in it already sounds like trans trouble.

if you already own these tools then I’d suggest making these two adjustments before taking it to a mechanic. You may be able to borrow a timing light from the parts store. There’s loads of videos and threads online on how to make these adjustments.

im still not overly concerned about the OBD timing readout because all of your values were posted at idle and the only symptom you’ve described is high engine rpm at 60mph

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Blackberry,

I have attached 2 more pics when I drove (live data with OBD2), 1 was normal drive, and other was more accelerator pedal. I have seen the fuel system 1 and 2 status changed from CL to OL_Drive. What does that mean??? Yes, never get in the fourth gear, wife told me maybe the transmission issue, but i still deny it...LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That’s just closed loop or open loop. Basically saying if it’s going off a pre programmed fuel map or if it’s using the o2 sensors for fuel control.
I’d take the car for a ride and count shifts. I think there’s enough people that have lost 4th gear that there may be something here.
The TPS is the man in charge when it comes to shift timing. I’d definitely check to see if that’s correct as well as the timing.

According to the service manual, ignition timing should read absolute. Spec is 10 +/- 2 at idle

I checked mine and mine reported 17 degrees of advance but wasn’t fully warm. My TPS voltage was around .4 closed throttle and around 4.0 while wide open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts