Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 xterra 3.3l v-6 4wd manual. I replaced the front end and took it for a drive around the block. I parked it that night and woke up the next morning to it not cranking/starting. I have replaced battery, starter a year old maybe (worked like a charm the night before but it had been in a warm garage). I have taken and moved the relays around under the hood checked all fuses that i thought were pertinent. I tried the screwdriver across the terminals and the starter motor runs but no crank. hit the solenoid and starter with a hammer and a screwdriver. I am running outta ideas could it be the neutral position sensor? I try starting without it being pushed nothing, I push it in with my thumb and i get a click from the starter.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My dads bmw did the same thing. it would only start if you banged it with a hammer. I think it's the starter. the smacking it with a hammer is an unreliable trick. also make sure connections are clean. most likely your solenoid is bad since it doesn't snap out. If you want to test your NPS I believe you test it by checking for voltage on the ignition wire WHILE someone is turning the ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is just really strange that cold is affecting it. I mean 14 hours prior it started up no problem, it it really irritating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts