Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Xterra SE Supercharged 3.3L V6 2wd Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hello to all, recently my friend gave me his 02 xterra with warning of transmission going out, 172k miles on vehicle. First off I know he said he hadn't had reverse for awhile, I wasn't to worried about it. But as I was driving recently all the sudden I turned off highway on my street and when I went to accelerate it was like my transmission disengaged or something. So I stopped, put in park, shut off waited a few mins restarted my vehicle put it into drive and it started moving again only for short distance then right back to nothing, well I finished limping home with that tactic.I have checked the trans fluid several times it shows it's full, it's not exactly red in color but looks kinda brown and way water down looking compared to new fluid.

However I've located a pathfinder unsure all the vehicle details but was curious to know if you can inter swap transmissions from pathfinder to xterra? How can I find out if this is possible before I buy the pathfinder? But MORE IMPORTANTLY is my trans in Xterra toast or not? Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

·
Registered
248 Posts
In my experience, just doing a total change of the transmission fluid can do amazing things relative to restoring normal transmission function. Brown is certainly the "ugly" color for the fluid. For me it would be certainly worth the try since it is the lowest cost resolution if it works. Reverse missing is a factor also but take your best shot.

·
Registered
2002 Xterra SE, Shock Blue, AT/4x4
10 Posts
How comfortable are you with opening up a transmission? Reverse operates with a band (kind of like an inverse drum brake shoe) and can wear out, might even be adjustable on this model, I don't recall. Replacing the band would be relatively simple once the trans is out. But, since you have forward issues now too, I would be looking for a replacement of at least a rebuild of yours. The 2002 Xterra transmission model is RE4R01A and I think all of the Pathfinders up to 2005 use that transmission too. I had a 1995 Pathfinder a few years ago and the trans went out just like yours-no reverse, then eventually nothing. If I revved it up in neutral, you could see the wheels trying to move forward, but it seemed like the trans was binding internally as if trying to be in two gears at once. I installed a 2003 Xterra trans and transfer case into it, worked like a charm. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts