Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
When you say, "it will not start", does it spin over but not start or no spin of the starter either?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
json3904, no offense intended. i was in a rush to get out the door. just trying to post up what we've learned thus far. thanks for your help.

creepy, the starter will not engage and it is a known good starter. i've checked the clutch sensors and they are giving the proper reading when depressed or released. double checked all our harnesses and such.

we went to the dealership last night and talked to the parts / service dept's. they say that yes the ECU can cause these issues in the '02+ ones since "most of the brains of the car are in the ECM and BCM". apparently a lot of them after '02 and some before were built with those chipped keys and you have to have the proper ECM for the features you want (which you have to find by VIN on the internet somewhere) and then once its installed and re-assembled have the vehicle brought to the dealership so they can sync your keys up with the ECM.

so thats where we are now. Oh, and the keyless entry is seperate and distinct from their security option. took us a long time to finally get a definative answer on that. keyless entry is just that, security has ignition kill and other features that don't deal well with a vehicle not initially wired for security.

anyway, hope all of this helps someone down the road.

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Ok so did the Donor X have a chipped key???? That might be a contributing factor.

Also check your ignition fuse. If it is out, I cannot roll up my windows sometimes. It is the very bottom left fuse in the fusebox by your knee.

Also, the neutral safety switch. Is that the same? One other thing to consider is battery voltage.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Thats, exactly why I was asking if it was spinning or not, thinking if it had a transpodered ecu or not. Also, have you tried, disconecting the starter trigger wire, turning on the key and manualy jumping the starter trigger to the battery to see if the ign is working or not. If it's working it will start, that will at least give you a direction to go, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Alrighty. we finally got it all figured out and running properly. It turns out that one of the unused plugs from the automatic transmission (top plug in the array of 3 plugs on the passenger side fender well) used to run to the park/neutral position sensor. Without having this sensor satisfied (by shorting the two leads together) the starter relay doesn't have a chance to properly engage. So, what we did was use a spare harness we weren't going to use anyway, clip it, solder the two wires together into a loop, and re-connect it in that slot. Once that was plugged in the vehicle started right up and runs like a champ. So, that is the end of this nightmare project. My brother and I both agree that it is a lot simpler to just trade the vehicle in or buy what you wanted from the beginning! Cheaper no, but definately simpler and easier on the gray hairs!

quick recap on parts needed:
transmission
flywheel (New flywheel - crankshaft bolts)
clutch/pressure plate
throwout bearing
clutch pedal assembly
clutch master cylinder
clutch hydraulic line and mounts
brake pedal assembly
drive shaft
manual transmission wiring harness
manual dash wiring harness
ecm (WITH all the proper features that you had before, eg: power windows, power locks, cruise, SECURITY)
center console trim
automatic shift cable block off plate
manual shifter floor plate
a set of shop manuals for it would definately help you a lot with this (i have a digital copy if need be)

it took the pair of us 3 days on a lift and 3 days on the ground with a generous helping of swearing, cuts, and bruises to get this done. One should be aware that the nissan dealership is very tightlipped about help with a conversion or modification of any sort. We were fortunate enough to pique the curiosity and help of a pair of techs at Superior Nissan in the Carson, CA area. Excellent shop btw. To get a proper ECU for your conversion you'll have to google around the internet and find yourself a set of VIN's and ask which features were included in the vehicle. Once you've found one with all your proper features you can ask them to confirm the features of the vehicle and order it. Be careful that you get a VIN with the proper security feature though. The security option is different from the keyless entry and can cause complications in the swap. Depending on the year it can require a properly chipped key that is in sync with your ECM in order for your vehicle to start. Also, dont forget to take into account the difference in the wiring for the starter circuit as we did. The shop manuals have the diagrams necessary to properly trace the circuit. Anyway, thanks for all of your guys help and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
unfortunately no, we didn't think to take many pics as we were doing the work and he had to head back to work yesterday before we really thought about taking any.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
that awesome
comgrats on the conversion!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
wow.. 6 days is pretty fast for a swap i say

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Nice work. Totally awesome job!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
He was a little over zealous to say the least. Let's just leave it at that. He's not around anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's not particularly kind, dezurtat.

The job was completed and has been running like this ever since. Would I suggest it? No. it was pretty expensive and tracking the necessary parts down was quite a headache. Nissan, of course, isn't supportive in finding the parts or troubleshooting problems.
The truck is certainly more fun as a stick though.

Thanks for the positive comments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just curious, can you use any parts from a Pathfinder in this swap? Seems like you can find parts for those a little easier. Also, did the engine still idle the same? I did a manual swap in my 94 240 and it idled at like 1300 RPM. I changed out the ECU twice and still idled high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the help with the parts list. My other question is if anyone knows of a decent guide on how to do it. I'm sure we can do it without but there are always those tricky or hidden nuts that only the veterans know about and its easier to be told than to scrounge around trying to figure it out for an hour.

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat

21 - 39 of 39 Posts