Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lo All,

I'm trying to track down some information for my brother real quick. He's in the armed services and tends to be too busy to bother with the internet. My question is if there is a write up on how to do a Auto - Manual conversion on a '02 Xterra and what parts would be needed for the conversion?

So far I think he needs:
Transmission
throw-out bearing
clutch
pressure plate
flywheel
clutch master / slave cylinders
clutch pedal
manual shifter
manual shift cables

Will he also need:
ECU
driveshaft
hubs/knuckles
engine mounts
wiring harnesses
or anything else?

Neither of us have done a swap like this before so we're just trying to get all the necessary information first.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
first off welcome to the club.... and second i think there are some others that would have alot of knowledge on this subject so give them some time to chim in.....

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
Yes on the ECU, and I am not sure of the harness. If there is some gear indicator light or something of the like then, yes....you will.

You also forgot the interior piece that goes by your center console.

P.S.-Welcome to the club!

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
AXION PHOTO said:
Welcome to Club Xterra!
When ya get a chance go to the members rides and post some pics
on that bad A$$ X and the nememberz area to say hi to yur new pit crew!

Then when ur ready too... check diz link out.... :thumbsup-big:
http://www.graveyardgraphics.com/clubxterralogos.htm
Thanks for the link. Just ordered me 2 stickers! :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
dezurtrat said:
Thanks for the link. Just ordered me 2 stickers! :)
Sweet!! The stickers are awesome!! The only stickers I am willing to put on my X :)

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Yea, nice stickers. Problem is I ordered the 12" stickers but my girlfriend said that was too big 'casue I had told her 12" was only "this big"

OK, I'll knock it off. This is a family club! :)

A

·
0 Posts
dezurtrat said:
Yea, nice stickers. Problem is I ordered the 12" stickers but my girlfriend said that was too big 'casue I had told her 12" was only "this big"

OK, I'll knock it off. This is a family club! :)
HEHEHEH DUDE... TO MUCH MOJO HUGH...... The 12vs... are juz fine bro!
Juz rack it up for da torque....

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
You'll also need a new crossmember for the transmission as well. Different between the auto and manual.

You can't just get the pedal and throw it in. You'll need the pedal assembly, which will have a different (smaller) brake pedal on it. You'll need rubber arms to get that thing out as well. Or pull the dash.

Everything else will line up decently.

The ECU for the engine may or may not need to be changed. If you pm me your VIN, I can look it up and see if there's a different part # listed for manual and auto trannies. The manual tranny won't need a control unit, like the auto. But, the wiring harness for the auto will need to be scavenged for the reverse lights to work. Also, it'll have to wired to allow the starter to engage.

You could discard the auto trans all together and wire up your own harness. You'd just need to the schematic and some wire. Not difficult if you're electrically inclined.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
jman2000 said:
Sounds like alot of work
That's an understatement. Although it took myself and 1 other guy to do it, we swapped in a rebuilt engine, swapped out the auto trans and installed a manual trans in a little over 10 hours. He test drove it around the block and then drove straight to Las Vegas to meet his wife and kid.

It's a lot of work, for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent, thanks for the help with the parts list. My other question is if anyone knows of a decent guide on how to do it. I'm sure we can do it without but there are always those tricky or hidden nuts that only the veterans know about and its easier to be told than to scrounge around trying to figure it out for an hour.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
my brothers attached to his vehicle a bit. its an '02 with 16k miles on it in near pristine condition. he's also got some other toys installed into it that he's not going to want to transplant. besides, this way he gets his hands dirty and has a little fun at the same time.

thanks for the suggestion though.

Another question. Are we going to need the rear diff and final drive and all that stuff too?

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I don't know if I can help with finding you a "How-to" on the tranny conversion but when he is ready or decides to do the 4WD conversion, I can probably get some help there. A member of my NOAS club converted his frontier from 2WD to 4WD and it is one sick rig. He goes by "Houdini" on the fronty boards and my NOAS club if you want to see it. It's the red frontier decked out desert runner style.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Need Help

Alrighty, so heres an update and request for help.

We managed to get all the mechanical stuff put into the Xterra without significant problems. Our problems developed when we got to work on the electrical segment of the conversion. We swapped the auto harness out for a manual harness from an X that was very nearly the same with regards to manufacturing date and options.

Our X's VIN: 5N1ED28T62C528661
Harness Donor VIN: 5N1ED28T22C517804

We've gotten all the harnesses connected and compared the pinouts on the harnesses as we went along and found that the new harness has some extra pins in places but the wires are all in the same locations except for one of the harnesses in the passenger kick panel. I assume these pins are for the auto tranny module. Anyway. After we got all of that stuff swapped we also swapped out the original Auto ECU for a Manual one from our '01 donor X.

Now that all of that work is done we find out that the thing STILL wont start. I've verified that all my fuses are good that the starter is good and my clutch pedal sensors are good but still no dice. The only thing we can think of at this point that might be holding us back is the ECU as we're uncertain of which options the donor X had and whether or not the ECU pinout is going to be the same as what we've got.

We also noticed that only the drivers window works (power windows) and the power locks dont do more than click a relay in the dash. All other electricals seem to be operating properly though.

Anyway, any help in figuring out whats wrong with this would be appreciated. My brother and i are thoroughly stumped at this point. If any of you uber techs happen to be in the LA area and want to look at it we certainly wouldn't mind! :)

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
if I'm not mistaken the ecu has nothing to do with your windows and the locks... cause TJTJ had his ecu removed and went and rolled up the windows cause it started raining.... maby one of the wires got crossed and you might have fried something.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when we had the plain jane '01 ecu in the power windows didn't work (except for the driver door). when we put the original '02 ecu in again all the windows worked again properly though it wouldn't start since the ecu was for an auto instead of manual.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
i was just saying that since another guy on here said the ecu didn't have anything to do with the power windows or door locks....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts