Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: This is my first post and I am by no means a "car guy".

My 2002 XE SC V6 could use new suspension. I bought it 6 months ago and have no idea when it has been replaced, with 165xxx miles, they are visibly rusty now. I am running a pretty tight budget and found the Gabriel Ultra's which would be about 150 for all 4.

I am yet to drive off of a street (sad, i know!), and though I hope to change that soon, I will still be 95% on road daily driving. Because of this, I thought the bilsteins everyone talks about might be a waste. I have BFG A/T's on and will have them for a while still.

I am open to other suggestions as well!

Thanks and any info is appreciated,
Leo

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Disclaimer: This is my first post and I am by no means a "car guy".

My 2002 XE SC V6 could use new suspension. I bought it 6 months ago and have no idea when it has been replaced, with 165xxx miles, they are visibly rusty now. I am running a pretty tight budget and found the Gabriel Ultra's which would be about 150 for all 4.

I am yet to drive off of a street (sad, i know!), and though I hope to change that soon, I will still be 95% on road daily driving. Because of this, I thought the bilsteins everyone talks about might be a waste. I have BFG A/T's on and will have them for a while still.

I am open to other suggestions as well!

Thanks and any info is appreciated,
Leo

When you say "A new suspension", but, seem to only be describing shocks...did you MEAN to just say "shocks"?

The 2000 - 2004 X's all can use the same suspension parts, such as shocks BTW, in case you need to search, etc.

Only you can weigh what a feature's value is, to you, but, the Bils are great shocks for the money.

The ride and handling with state of the art digressively valved monotube shocks is night and day when compared to old fashioned twin tubed shocks, etc.

Its not just an off road advantage, its an on road advantage.

You can fit the Bils meant for a 3" Lift Kit onto a bone stock X (Shocks don't provide LIFT....they only damp motion, so a lift kit's shocks don't make you taller, etc....).

What the 3" Lift kit's shocks DO though is allow more wheel travel, in that your shocks are no longer what prevent more wheel travel.

If in snow, mud, etc, and there are ruts, etc...the tires travel up/down along these uneven areas to follow the terrain.

If the tire can't reach down far enough, it loses traction, and the tire slips...and you can get stuck.

If the tires have enough wheel travel to reach down further and stay on the ground for traction, you don't get stuck as often. If you NEVER went off road, it would not matter at all...as the kit's shocks don't NEED to go off road, but, from a karma (Truckma?) perspective, I'm sure they would WANT you to.

:D

So, sure, real shocks cost more than the toys made to look like shocks, but, they do work better and last longer.

Is it worth it to spend another hundred or so to get real shocks? To you?

If not, at least you made an informed decision on what you were sacrificing for that money.

If yes, then at least you knew that the extra $ was getting you something you wanted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "A new suspension", but, seem to only be describing shocks...did you MEAN to just say "shocks"?

The 2000 - 2004 X's all can use the same suspension parts, such as shocks BTW, in case you need to search, etc.

Only you can weigh what a feature's value is, to you, but, the Bils are great shocks for the money.

The ride and handling with state of the art digressively valved monotube shocks is night and day when compared to old fashioned twin tubed shocks, etc.

Its not just an off road advantage, its an on road advantage.

You can fit the Bils meant for a 3" Lift Kit onto a bone stock X (Shocks don't provide LIFT....they only damp motion, so a lift kit's shocks don't make you taller, etc....).

What the 3" Lift kit's shocks DO though is allow more wheel travel, in that your shocks are no longer what prevent more wheel travel.

If in snow, mud, etc, and there are ruts, etc...the tires travel up/down along these uneven areas to follow the terrain.

If the tire can't reach down far enough, it loses traction, and the tire slips...and you can get stuck.

If the tires have enough wheel travel to reach down further and stay on the ground for traction, you don't get stuck as often. If you NEVER went off road, it would not matter at all...as the kit's shocks don't NEED to go off road, but, from a karma (Truckma?) perspective, I'm sure they would WANT you to.

:D

So, sure, real shocks cost more than the toys made to look like shocks, but, they do work better and last longer.

Is it worth it to spend another hundred or so to get real shocks? To you?

If not, at least you made an informed decision on what you were sacrificing for that money.

If yes, then at least you knew that the extra $ was getting you something you wanted.
Yes, I meant shocks, haha! I think I will go for the nismo's on ebay for 250. Maybe the 4600s if I need a lift for tire clearance. I think my issue originally was the fear to buy "off road" shocks and then use them on road with a crappy ride. Now I understand that is not necessarily the case.

Now I just have to find the money for all these upgrades ;)

Thanks,
Leo

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I will say when I got the Bilsteins from 4x4parts for the 3" lift...I was MOSTLY impressed with how well the truck handled on the road. It really was a huge difference from stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts