Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

so any help is very appreciated. I have had a bad mis fire on my 02 Xterra non S/C 3.3l V6 5 speed with 165,000 for a few weeks now. Very frusterating! I have searched and searched fo' dayz every forum available. My mech friend works at Infinity and knows these 3.3l's pretty well, and is stumped just like me.

Problem is - original codes, knock sensor (duh) and misfire cylinder 3.

Did cap, rotor, plugs, wires and fuel filter. Same codes present after clearing and driving.

Did cylinder 3 injector. Same codes present.

Did entire dizzy. New code of random cylinder misfire. Cleared, drove, new code cylinder 2 and MAF code.

Replaced MAF sensor. Cleared codes. Back to cylinder 3 and knock sensor. Evap code popped up momentarily and went away.

Ordered 5 more injectors (just to be safe) as well as intake manifold gasket kit for when I pull it off to do injectors. Installing these parts tomorrow evening, and will report back. I also have the timing belt kit to put in eventually as well.

I need any other advice or areas to look into diving further into this mess.

I have stayed up to date on oil changes and whatnot since owning. Want to keep this vehicle for a long time as I love this beast and need it to commute.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you done compression checks on your cylinders...are you sure you don't have a head gasket leak? Have you checked all of your vacuum lines for leaks, verified EGR operation, checked your evap system for proper function, etc...?

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Did you match up the code on your old dist when you did it? There are a few different versions and they have to match

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, fixed it last night - not sure which of these things cleared the issue, but for those with similar problems, this is what I did -

removed intake manifold, cleaned a bunch of crap, replaced intake manifold upper gasket, replaced all injectors and O-rings, replaced all spark plugs and wires (checked gapping and NGK iridium plugs), found an old cleaning brush in one of the coolant lines, removed that, found a bunch of hoses that need to be replaced but left those for now, reassembled vehicle, hooked everything up, ran perfect.

List of parts replaced since beginning -

Aftermarket Distributor, cap, rotor, all plugs with NGK iridium, all wires (aftermarket), all injectors (aftermarket), intake manifold gasket, MAF sensor (aftermarket) and oil change. Around 600 bucks total in parts.

I also had my ground battery cable tightened on the post, as it was loose and wiggling - not sure if that was causing issues, but it is tight now.

Codes that have appeared and have been cleared since beginning -

MAF code, knock sensor, cyl (2, 3, 5) misfires, random cyl misfire, EVAP code.

Not entirely sure what exactly fixed my issues, but with doing everything I listed, it is now fixed and running better than ever. Idles and Revs so smooth now.

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You should probably go through and clean all electrical contacts and add dielectric grease to them also, helps down the road

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
PML, EFan, stock intake mod, shocks, a bunch of maintenance, and a tune up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.