Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts up fine but after driving around a while will spit and sputter. Changed out fuel filter, Distributor cap and rotor. It ran great after that but a day later started running bad again spitting and sputter on acceleration. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. My xterra has 283,000 miles.

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
399 Posts
How much research you done? Has your distributor ever been replaced? If not, it is wayyyyyy over due. The bearing inside will be worn out, and you can look up how to diagnose that as the issue. Your symptoms are exactly as they appear when that is the case

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much research you done? Has your distributor ever been replaced? If not, it is wayyyyyy over due. The bearing inside will be worn out, and you can look up how to diagnose that as the issue. Your symptoms are exactly as they appear when that is the case
Thanks For your help and advice. I was actually thinking the same thing. Not sure if it's ever been changed. I bought this xterra with 200.000 on her. No rust and absolutely everything works very well. I gave 750.00 about 3 .5 yrs ago.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks For your help and advice. I was actually thinking the same thing. Not sure if it's ever been changed. I bought this xterra with 200.000 on her. No rust and absolutely everything works very well. I gave 750.00 about 3 .5 yrs ago.
Man I wish I was as lucky as you to get a good deal like that! Yeah, try to find someone explaining how to check the distributor bearing. It’s pretty easy, just get the cap and rotor off, then you gotta get the screw off that’s under the rotor which is easy to strip and screw up, so be careful. Then you should be able to take off the black cover, and get a view at the bearing in the center. Just ask for help as you get into it if you get confused or need direction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man I wish I was as lucky as you to get a good deal like that! Yeah, try to find someone explaining how to check the distributor bearing. It’s pretty easy, just get the cap and rotor off, then you gotta get the screw off that’s under the rotor which is easy to strip and screw up, so be careful. Then you should be able to take off the black cover, and get a view at the bearing in the center. Just ask for help as you get into it if you get confused or need direction
Thanks again bro I appreciate your input. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again bro. I appreciate your advice and input. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks again bro. I appreciate your advice and input. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mhamor, thanks for the info a week or so ago. Just got new distributor put in and timed. Running like new...
Just hold on to the old one for a bit just in case, sometimes the aftermarket ones crap the bed pretty quickly, it’s recommended on here to get the Autozone gold, because there’s a lifetime warranty. If the new one shits the bed you can always swap internal parts between the two as well, because the original ones internals were built a lot better than the new ones. Goodluck!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Mhamor, thanks for the info a week or so ago. Just got new distributor put in and timed. Running like new...
what brand? durlast golds from autozone are pretty good cant beat the no questions asked lifetime warranty either (some of the managers at some of their stores are a$$es and wont) but lifetime is lifetime and when i worked there only things we questioned where starters, ignition control modules and alternators as we could test to verify functionality before warrantying but everything else if its in the computer under your name/number it gets swapped no matter what

1 - 13 of 13 Posts